Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG "not the right kind of document" in PS CS3

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm a long time CS3 user. It has served my needs for the past few years without too much trouble. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", right?

Well CS3 might be broken for me now.

I recently got my hands on a Pentax K1, one of the few camera people to shoot DNG in camera. When I see them in the file browser there are thumbnails, and I can even view them. However, Bridge CS3 won't build these thumbnails and Photoshop CS3 won't open them because they are "not the right kind of document".

To my understanding, DNG's are meant to be compatible with all Adobe products regardless of age, one of the biggest reasons I stuck with Pentax and Adobe (I don't have to upgrade my software). Did this change along the line or is there another reason why I can't open my DNGs in the very software that's supposed to open them?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're partly correct. There are different versions of dng. You need to set the dng converter so that it will convert down to the version of Camera Raw that CS3 can read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is I'm not using a DNG converter, my camera naturally shoots in DNG.

Do I need a DNG Converter for my DNG files? Is there even such a thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sure you have your K1 set to shoot in the dng format?

The K1 can also shoot in the pentax proprietary pef file format, which cs3 can't open until being converted to dngs.

I tried several K1 dngs from this site and they show the thumbnail in Bridge CS3 and open in Camera Raw 4.6

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k1/pentax-k1GALLERY.HTM

k1.jpg

What operating system and version of camera raw do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 10, and I think I've only got Camera Raw 4.0 (went to Help, Plugins, Camera Raw - resulted in an image that said Camera Raw 4.0).

Thanks! I guess that may be the problem but I have a new one - how do I update the plugin? I'm going to see if I can find a copy of 4.6 because evidently Adobe doesn't have it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, wait, I was wrong. Adobe still has them (it's buried under a few search results). Will see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kelly might be right about the format, if he can open them in CS3, if not, you can convert them using the dng converter to Camera Raw versions 4.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay progress made. Installing Camera Raw 4.6 now lets me open my K-1 files in Photoshop, but not yet in Bridge (thumbnails won't load). I'm guessing there's a different way than adding the Camera Raw plugin to the folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Camera Raw.8bi plugin goes in

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

so both bridge and photoshop can use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try the below if you put the Camera Raw.8bi plugin in the right folder

NOTE: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, follow the these steps:

1. Start Bridge.

2. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All fixed! Thanks R_Kelly, Gener7, and Chuck Uebele!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines