Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WARNING Norton update KILLS IE11

Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADDED... problem was Norton, not Windows update... see my reply #2

I installed win10 update KB3213986 this morning and when it finished restarting, my ie11 would open to a blank screen, and then stop with "not responding"

I tried several restarts to see if something about the update had not finished (I waited until it SAID it was done) and same result ie11 not responding

I restored from a backup, and ie11 was working again... after a bit, win update told me I had an update pending, so installed again to see if something about the updated had become corrupted during download/install the first time

Same result... ie11 opens and immediately stops working with "not responding"

Microsoft search Microsoft – Official Home Page only had a result for a problem with some kind of redirect, which I don't have

Microsoft chat from the bottom of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/virtual-agent/ was clueless... wanting to "fix" my ie11 until I wrote, twice, that I was on a RESTORED win10 without KB3213986 installed, so any supposed "fix" wouldn't do anything once I installed the update and ie11 would not allow me to even get to an agent to take control of my computer to do the fix that the agent would not or could not describe

So, for now at least, I have turned win10 automatic updates OFF (I hope!)

how to turn Win10 automatic updates OFF (I hope!)

-what I did

-option window in lower left to get to settings

-click update & security

-click windows update on left

-click advanced options in center

-click DEFER FEATURE UPDATES

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up, John.  I don't use IE11 much so I would probably not notice if it stopped responding.  For testing web sites, I mainly use Firefox, Chrome and MS Edge.

On a related note, Firefox 52 (already in the stream), is removing all plugins except Flash.

OT: Firefox 52 removes plugins

MS will be removing Active-X plugins from it's browsers.  And Flash support is scheduled for removal later.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update... Problem was NOT Windows update, it was a Norton update that I did not notice happening at the same time

When I updated Norton after doing a restore, Win10 stopped working again

I have switched to Microsoft Windows Defender and removed Norton and updated Windows again... ie11 is still working

I am now using the FREE Norton Identity Safe that opens my existing password file to auto-fill site logins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+T+Smith  wrote

removed Norton

best idea ever

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Norton for anti-virus for many years (about 10, I think) and this is the first problem I've had

Still using their free password manager since it reads my existing password file... if I ever have problems with the free program, I will have to find a different password manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still using the free version of Norton password manager, but it seems to want to make me log in at least once a day... and since the login process goes through the Norton server, it takes a (relatively) long time to process and any "glitch" in the Internet means my main password won't validate

So... is anyone using the open source KeePass program? KeePass Password Safe which says it runs totally on the user's computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using LastPass for years on all my systems and devices. Very reliable, all encryption is done locally so server access isn't required to open the vault. The encrypted vault is synced to the server and to other devices, and only you have the key.

LastPass | Password Manager, Auto Form Filler, Random Password Generator & Secure Digital Wallet App

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I will look at that one as well... when I did a search for reviews on KeePass, they were almost all 5-of-5 stars... I'm not really concerned about syncing to a Cloud site, so right now I'm leaning toward KeePass... if I make a change (I know how Norton works, and my only problem is that it logs me out and makes me log back in about once a day)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines