• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I created an image in InDesign, with links. However, I can't click the links when I export it to PNG, only when exported to PDF. Is there a way to get the links to work in PNG so it can be send in Outlook?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

This is my situation:

I have to send out an email with some updates for marketing. I created a flyer in InDesign that has to be send to the rest of the employees by Outlook.

What we would like, is that the image is directly visible in the email, so that they don't have to open a pdf file, and that they can click the several links that I put in the InDesign file.
When I export the file to pdf, it works fine of course. But is there a way to also make it work, somehow, when I want to send it as one picture in Outlook?

Thanks so much in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, an image and a link are different things.

You can put a link over an image so that clicking the image activates the link or you can put a link and an image next to each other but the fact is, once they go into a email the link (and perhaps even the image) will get disabled by many browsers so the user just gets NOTHING at their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response!

I understand what you mean, but is it then maybe possible to put multiple links over an image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ussnorway has already covered... yes but not as a PNG... A PNG Is a type of picture only format... and does not contain any CSS or HTML required to make it work as a hyperlink...

If you want to make it work as a link in outlook you essentially have two options:

1. Paste the image into the Outlook message as an insert (not as an attachment) and then manually add a hyperlink onto the image using the hyperlink button with the image/text selected - as below:
  2. OR assign the hyperlink in InDesign and then save in a supported format such as PDF for hyperlinks.

2017-04-03_14-01-10.png

Given your requirements it sounds like you are better designing the email in word or outlook and then sending it as is...

BUT - Without seeing the sort of final desired output it is hard to advise you better.

IF However you want "Multiple Links over the same image" then this is going to be best done using either InDesign and saving as PDF or directly in HTML... Essentially you need to create "invisible" frames over the top of your image and individually link each frame to the desired location(s). The quickest way to do this in my opinion would be the InDesign method...

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to do this is get a Constant Contact or Mail Chimp account and create the email blasts that way.

Always use the right tool for the job and for the job of HTML emails InDesign doesn't even come close to being the right tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha BobLevine !!

Yes MailChimp is....better... than outlook... but surprisingly not as much as you would hope!!

To be honest.... Even if you use MailChimp you have to remember if your in a B2B market that chances are your recipients for the majority will have Outlook in use on the receiving end regardless of if they prefer Windows, Mac or Linux etc...

You're absolute best bet is to design simply and code simply... and anything complex should be put either directly into a HTML web page/ sub page OR put into something like PDF which...whilst it has faults... is often safer than in a mail campaign...

The amount of marketing promotion I receive that is strictly plain text to ensure deliverability is hilarious!!

B2C you will find designing slightly easier but again - its always better to be safe than sorry...

And yes you shouldn't try and make a HTML email from InDesign... but making a PDF to use in an email is another matter...

Best wishes,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition as BobLevine has already mentioned.

Trying to place multiple hyperlinks over the same image directly in Outlook is going to have its own host of problems..

Including but not limited to:

• Browser interpretation of code
  • Email Client interpretation of code
  • Failure to support/recognise code implemented in creation of end product.
  • Overriding recipient based default preferences
  • Recipient does not accept HTML emails
  • Recipient only accepts plain text version of HTML emails.
  • Delivery failures
  • SPAM filters do not like source code
  • Etc...

In which case you are recommended to Design and or code like it was the 1990's and use only basic code such as tables and <p> tags.... Personally don't bother with DIVs etc....

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you want to do cannot be done from InDesign. You can create the graphic but the hot spots will have to created in whatever email application you’re using and the recipients will have to accept HTML emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much for being so kind to respond !

In the end, I solved it by inserting the InDesign file as a png picture into the body of the email (Outlook), then create "shapes" in outlook, made them invisible, placed them over the parts of the image that were supposed to be links, and then add the hyperlinks in outlook to the invisible shapes.

So it still works out how I sort of wanted it to !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you made it work in the end:

As you have taken my solution for the multiple links over one image and put it in Outlook I would only remind you to be aware that:

Trying to place multiple hyperlinks over the same image directly in Outlook is going to have its own host of problems...Including but not limited to:

• Browser interpretation of code
  • Email Client interpretation of code
  • Failure to support/recognise code implemented in creation of end product.
  • Overriding recipient based default preferences
  • Recipient does not accept HTML emails
  • Recipient only accepts plain text version of HTML emails.
  • Delivery failures
  • SPAM filters do not like source code
  • Etc...

I would therefore highly recommend you include a link to a plain text list of all the hyperlink locations in case the email should not be displayed correctly. I also suggest you run some deliverability tests on various OS/Browsers and screen sizes to ensure it functions correctly before going LIVE...

However, please don't let this deter you.. I merely wish to share my experience so that this works even better.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're doing it wrong. A png is just an image. You can create a link for the image but the does recognize text as it all rasterized.

For what you are trying to do, you need to export the file either as a pdf with links included and attach it to the email or export it as an rtf file, open it in Word, then copy and paste from Word to Outlook.

As you are wanting to use Adobe design software, I would recommend educating yourself on the differences between raster files, vector files and files with selectable text. It would be a great benefit to you.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a 6 years old thread?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's old, but I came across it when I was searching for a way to copy a table from InDesign with links to Outlook. I couldn't find a way to maintain the links. Either way, I posted this because there are not many discussions about copying from InDesign to Outlook with links. I figured if I came across this while searching, others might too. I wanted to post a solution to anyone else who happens across it. Hence the, "Hope this helps someone" comment. I'm just trying to be helpful to anyone with the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't heard if ID-Tasker. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some reason you felt compelled to berate someone over a six-year-old post that has already been answered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was intending to berate the original poster. I appologize if it came out that way. I tried to make it sound helpful instead of rude. I guess I failed. I'm aware of the age of the post, but since I came across it as the top search result in Google, I imagine others will too. I wanted to be helpful to anyone else with same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I meant to say that I was not intending to berate the original poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides, I felt like the answer didn't really address the issue of going from InDesign to Outlook. It merely suggested not using InDesign. There are many advantages to using InDesign and it's a great program. I don't want to discourage people from using it for things it should be able to do if you do it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines