Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview unavailable for this file - problem

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have a problem with Lightroom 6.9 (Camera Raw 9.9) on my MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2012) version 10.12.3 but I also had this issue on previous versions of LR and MacOS. When I try to import pictures directly from my EOS 7D or by using a card reader Lightroom doesn't load all the previews of my pictures. It stops at some point and says "Preview unavailable for this file" (see the screenshot attached - which is in german - sorry about that). The files are all of the same type (jpg or CR2). I tried different solutions I found on the internet. Cleaning the Camera Raw Cache, disabling the graphic processor, using a card reader instead of the direct connection to the camera, nothing worked ... Please help me! That bug/problem is very annoying.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-22 um 20.31.39.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Does it actually also not import those files or do they import even though the import screen doesn't show the previews? The image capture app uses the lower res icon preview from the raw files instead of the higher res preview jpegs that Lightroom uses in its import screen and so indeed this could be a performance issue. Is your card reader USB2 or USB3? You want it to be USB 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das Vorschaubild welches während dem Import angezeigt wird wird nicht durch LR gerendert - Es wird das durch die Kamera in die RAW-Datei eingebettete Vorschaubild angezeigt.

War bei diesen Aufnahmen irgend etwas an der Kamera anders eingestellt?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ach, das geht ja auch auf deutsch hier 🙂

nein, es war nichts anders eingestellt. Das Problem habe ich seit langem. Manche Vorschaubilder werden auch nach mehreren Versuchen geladen. Da ist kein klares Muster zu erkennen. Mit dem Programm "Digitale Bilder" auf dem Mac werden die Vorschauen sofort geladen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was uns noch fehlt:

• Werden die Bilder trotzdem importiert und stehen nachher zur Verfügung?
  • Wenn Du Image Capture benutzt um die Bilder in einen Ordner auf dem Desktop zu kopieren, und dann von dort in LR importierst - funktioniert das dann?
--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest moving files from card to folder on disk. Then try same operation. If that works properly, then there's indication of a performance bottleneck  or problem in card-reading chain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Canon EOS Cameras won't show up in the Finder on the Mac I have to use the Image Capture Utility. And that works just fine. Image Capture loads all the previews very fast. But that is only a workaround. Lightroom should be able to import the images directly from the camera, doesn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom should be able to import the images directly from the camera, doesn't it?"

It should, of course.  I'd suggest one other test, copying files to disk, then back to another card, then trying from card reader again.  If that works, it might start to point to a card problem?  I've read something about Lightroom choking on some video files, too - you're sure none sneaked in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it actually also not import those files or do they import even though the import screen doesn't show the previews? The image capture app uses the lower res icon preview from the raw files instead of the higher res preview jpegs that Lightroom uses in its import screen and so indeed this could be a performance issue. Is your card reader USB2 or USB3? You want it to be USB 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys for your answers! I try provide all the information needed:

"Does it actually also not import those files or do they import even though the import screen doesn't show the previews?"

- It does sometimes and sometimes not. I just tried it a minute ago and it didn't import the images that had no preview loaded. And after cancelling the import process the import option is greyed out so I have to quit LR and relaunch it.

"Is your card reader USB2 or USB3? You want it to be USB 3."

- It's USB 2. But the 7D also supports USB 2 and I didn't purchase a newer card reader since then.

"I'd suggest one other test, copying files to disk, then back to another card, then trying from card reader again. "

- Nope ... doesn't work.

"Was uns noch fehlt:

• Werden die Bilder trotzdem importiert und stehen nachher zur Verfügung?
  • Wenn Du Image Capture benutzt um die Bilder in eine Ordner auf dem Desktop zu kopieren, und dann von dort in LR importierst - funktioniert das dann?

- Manchmal funktioniert es, so scheint mir. Meist aber nicht. Ich habe es eben noch mal probiert und der Import-Vorgang stoppt und ich kann ihn nur beenden. Danach ist die Importieren-Funktion grau und ich muss LR neu starten. Wenn die Bilder über Image Capture schon auf dem Rechner sind, dann funktioniert das Hinzufügen in LR wunderbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moritzs72032136  schrieb

Danach ist die Importieren-Funktion grau und ich muss LR neu starten.

Bist du sicher, dass LR nicht noch am arbeiten ist mit dem aktuellen Import:

moritzs72032136  schrieb

Wenn die Bilder über Image Capture schon auf dem Rechner sind, dann funktioniert das Hinzufügen in LR wunderbar.

Das sagt jetzt eigentlich, dass LR nicht das Problem ist, sondern irgendwas mit der USB Verbindung und dem Kartenleser nicht in Ordnung ist. Es kann sein, dass LR empfindlicher als andere Programme auf diese Probleme reagiert und das Problem deswegen nur mit LR import in Erscheinung tritt.

Erster Versuch wäre wohl ein neuer Kartenleser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some "shots in the dark", but easy enough to check quickly:  disable antivirus and retry. Another very dark shot: could system power management be disabling USB port?  But as F.McLion said, your import seems to be working, just something is hinky (verdächtig) with the USB connection or reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much guys for your help! I got the solution now! You were right - a new (USB 3) card reader solved the problem even on my old iMac that doesn't even support USB 3 ... the new reader was totally worth the 12 €    I'm still wondering why LR has such problems with a slower USB connection but that shouldn't bother me anymore ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines