Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line and Sktech – Create Strokes from sketch file sent to Mac

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i want to use the line and sketch option to create strokes out of a sketch drawing sent to illustrator from the ipad, but the option is greyed out.

it seems like there's a couple of open questions in various threads that have not been answered by the staff sufficiently so i am opening this new thread.

-Was this option taken away from newer illustrator versions?

if yes, why and what would be a workaround?

-What previous versions would offer this options and where can I get them?

-Or will there be future updates which restore this option?

Thank you for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Hi Jonas,

This option was taken away from the newer version as a new app was released knows as Adobe Capture CC | Edit photos, shapes to vectors and graphics which helped to turn any image into a color theme, pattern, unique brush, Look or vector graphic that you can use in your creative projects on desktop and mobile devices.

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonas,

This option was taken away from the newer version as a new app was released knows as Adobe Capture CC | Edit photos, shapes to vectors and graphics which helped to turn any image into a color theme, pattern, unique brush, Look or vector graphic that you can use in your creative projects on desktop and mobile devices.

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JB.

If I'm understanding your question correctly... It's not an update to Illustrator CC that is causing this. It used to be possible (with previous versions of Sketch) to convert some of the line work to editable paths once the work was sent to Ai, but since layers and watercolor brushes were added to Sketch it's no longer possible.

Although this topic has been coming up a fair amount recently (and I have been sharing all of the comments with the product team) I don't know what the plan is for enabling this functionality again.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

to us, as a studio (and to many more, as the fair amount proves) it is just essential that we can draw vector strokes with the pen ...

that was the initial reason to try the ipad/adobe workflow.

from a logical point of view that's like the first thing you'd expect the illustrator draw app to do ... just the basic pencil tool from illustrator, which has been there from day 1, on the ipad. it can't be rocket science, can it?

thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JB.

A quick question since your first post was a bit different than you're most recent...  Are you looking for a pen tool in Draw (this is requested frequently too)? Or for the strokes in Sketch to be exported as editable paths when the work is sent to Illustrator? Or both?

Let me know. I want to be able to pass your comments along to the drawing teams as accurately as possible.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is in the Photoshop Sketch section, but Illustrator Draw exports editable paths to Illustrator.

They're not what I'd call easily editable - strokes are all outlined - but it's closer to what you want than what comes out of Sketch.

+1 for the Pen Tool in Draw

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Michael and Sue,

I‘m aware i am in the photoshop section, i browsed this forum on how to draw strokes that are actually vector strokes with the Apple Pencil (by strokes i mean strokes that are actually strokes, not outlined strokes)

As i read in other threads the only way to achieve this is by the workaround of using sketch and then the line and sketch feature (which does not work any longer), … naturally, a pen tool in the first place would be the ideal solution!

sorry for the confusion …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JB.

No confusion at all:

I just wanted to make sure I had your comments square in my mind before sharing them with the team.

And I think Michael is just more used to seeing the vector path/pen tool conversation come up in the Draw forum and wanted to make sure you knew Draw paths in Ai.

Like I mentioned, I've been seeing a number of conversations about being able to export paths from Sketch. And the biggest problem is that it used to be possible (despite the fact that Sketch is a raster drawing tool). The team just had to make a decision about Sketch being a powerful bitmap illustration tool, or maintaining the export capability; they chose the former.

About the pen tool. A lot of people want it. And don't understand why we haven't added it yet. I wish I had an answer for you. I just don't. I don't think any decision has been made about incorporating/not incorporating it into Draw.

I do share all of these conversations with the drawing teams because I want them to know how strongly people feel about them.  I know it's not a much more sufficient answer than you've seen elsewhere in the forums but I just don't have anything new to add.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines