• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDML data merge and image

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am pretty new in InDesign. A customer of mine is asking to have a master document (composed of several pages) with text and image fields. The fields will be filled with the content of a csv file. The expected output is a list of pdf file, one for each record, each one with a file name specified into the cvs file. The data marge needs to be automated with a script.

I can work with IDML file, I did an XML and I can create the PDF file. The issue I am experiencing is with the image. Where the image link is stored into the IDML file?

Thank you for your help.

Lorenzo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add Image Fields in the Data Merge file (the csv)

Merge data to create form letters, envelopes, or mailing labels in Adobe InDesign

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michael, what do you mean? I cannot use the Merge data, because I need separate pdf files with separate names. I mean I need to use IDML.

Am I wrong?

Lorenzo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you need IDML here? IDML is supposed to use as exchange with older versions (which causes often loss and damage of content) and to repair a corrupted file.

Data Merge works with normal INDD files and linked CSV or TXT with tabulator separation (the second is my recommendation for German versions as at least Excel has a problem to create proper CSV files if a langualge like German has opposite use of comma and point like English has, as in German a number would look like 12.345.678,90 the same number in English would be 12,345,678.90. Excel gets therefore a mess when saving a CSV from German Mac version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Willi. You clarify to me the use of IDML.

However, how I can print the merged file into separate pdf files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the PDF, don't print. Separate them in Acrobat Pro. That is not the task of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there might be scripts available which will export separate files. Some are free, some might cost. For that you might ask in the scripting forum. I am not a scripter, so I cannot help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I will have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines