Exit

Auto replace text with an object

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a text frame, and I want to make the following:

1. When I insert "0", the character will be replaced automatically  with object one (like in the attached image)

2. When I insert "+", the character will be replaced automatically  with object two (like in the attached image)

3. When I insert "-", the character will be replaced automatically with object three (like in the attached image)

How can I do this?

I have Windows 7 & Indesign CS5.5

Thanks!

Untitled-7.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Hi,
create your own font with the three symbols.

Then you fomat your 0, +, - accordingly.

Have a GREP Style in the applied paragraph style to automatically apply the right size and fill color together with the right font.

There is the IndyFont script by Jongware and Marc Autret that can do what you want.
The demo version is able to create one-glyph fonts:

Indiscripts :: IndyFont

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll see what the scripting folks come up with. For me, as a non-scripter, I would handle this as a Find/Change*. Obviously not automatic, but you can save the query as run as needed.

1. Select the first image and copy it
  2. Find what: 0
  3. Change to: Other > Clipboard Contents, Unformatted

InDesign CCss_024.png

* I don't remember when InDesign introduced this option. I think it was in 5.5 but it is possible it isn't.

Edit: Aman's article—which shows the same procedure—is dated 2008, so that means that Change to Clipboard Contents is in CS5.5. which was released in 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can refer to this interesting article on InDesign Secrets page.

https://indesignsecrets.com/find-text-change-to-graphic.php

This might be helpful in some way.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, and thanks for your fast answers!

I've tried the 'Find & Change' (I've been visited already in that InDesign Secrets link),

but as I said I need it to done automatically.

Maybe you'll know some script for that? Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
create your own font with the three symbols.

Then you fomat your 0, +, - accordingly.

Have a GREP Style in the applied paragraph style to automatically apply the right size and fill color together with the right font.

There is the IndyFont script by Jongware and Marc Autret that can do what you want.
The demo version is able to create one-glyph fonts:

Indiscripts :: IndyFont

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, that is correct, but in the most cases when someone wants to replace a letter to an image, it is either multi color or it is a rasterized drawing, like from a candle, a hand or something else. I think the symbols in the questions are only simplified images to make us understand the question.

But I agree, I create also my own fonts to perform these tasks. I use either Fontographer or FontLab, both are dedicated font creation applications. And even, if I have multi color drawings it is made possible as you can create several overlapping glyphs where each of them has a different color and the result is a multicolor drawing in the text. The only disadvantage is, I cannot automate it in lists, but I can automate it with GREP or with nested styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys!

I'll try the font-changing & the indyfont script. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

watch the available movies about IndyFont first. Then read the documentation before doing anything.

Even if you used a font editor or a font creation tool before. The time spent will pay off.

When creating a font to solve problems like these keep in mind, that the base shape of the glyph is always monochrome only.

All formatting is done through InDesign's text formatting capabilities. The new multi-color font technology is not supported with InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Willi+Adelberger  wrote

… I think the symbols in the questions are only simplified images to make us understand the question. …

Hi Willi,

even if they are images, I think—or at least I hope—they are not "simplified". They can be easily drawn as vector shapes and compound paths in InDesign. And because they are all monochrome they are ideal candidates for glyph creation with IndyFont.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I found this script that do the job:

https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/2014/06/24/peoples-choice-indesign-script-pepcon-2014-replace-wor...

but I'm facing a new problem.

I need to swap the characters '+', '-' and '0', but the script stopping Indesign and not working.

With letters it works just fine, but I have it to be  '+', '-' and '0'.

The script now looks like this:

baseFolder = "p:\\grafim\\bursa\\pas\\icons"

++

text = "\\b-\\b"

imageName = "d.eps"

caseSensitive = 0

++

text = "\\b+\\b"

imageName = "u.eps"

++

text = "\\b0\\b"

imageName = "n.eps"

What can I do to solve the problem?

Thanks!

Haim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Haim,

I think, you are better off doing your own font. 🙂
Even if you'd have to build three one-glyph fonts with the demo version of IndyFont.

Still, If you want to follow the route with that script contact the script's author, Kris of rorohiko.

You also can send him a private message through the Adobe forum:

RorohikoKris

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swimmer uses GREP expressions.

The '+' has special meaning to GREP, and it must be escaped to be treated as a normal character.

So you need to do:

text = "\\b\\+\\b"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another workaround, based on a combination of Autocorrect feature + Grep styles

1- create a paragraph style based on some exotic language you'll probably never use. (Lithuanian in my example)

2- Open the Autocorrect/Lithuanian.xml file.

To locate the correct autocorrect xml file, find your Scripts panel in InDesign. In the panel you’ll see a “User” folder. Right-click or Control-click on this folder, and choose Reveal in Finder/Reveal in Explorer. In the folder that appears, navigate up the folder tree 2 levels. You should see a folder named after your locale (mine is named “fr_FR”). In this folder you’ll see a folder named Autocorrect, and in this folder is the lihuanian XML file we need to edit.

3- Edit the XML as for autocorrection. Use Unicodes pattern as the example below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" standalone="yes"?>

<autocorrect>

<language name="Lithuanian" />

<wordpairs>

<wordpair misspelled="0" corrected="&#xF098;&#xF0A1;" /> <!-- Zero change to circle (wingdings2) + square (wingdings2)-->

<wordpair misspelled="&#x002D;" corrected="&#xF098;&#xF081;" /> <!-- Minus change to circle (wingdings2) + down triangle (wingdings3)-->

<wordpair misspelled="&#x002B;" corrected="&#xF098;&#xF082;" /> <!-- Plus change to circle (wingdings2) + up arrow (wingdings3)-->

</wordpairs>

</autocorrect>

4- Restart indesign. Go preferences and enable Autocorrect > Lithuanian

5- Create character styles for your 6 symbols: grey circle, red circle, green circle, square (Wingdings 2), up and down triangles (wingdings 3). Adjust approach for square and triangles in order to place them on top of circle...

6- Edit your paragraph styles and set up GREP styles in order to apply relevant character styles to each symbol

7-Here you go, apply your para style and just type 0, + or - (followed by a space, return, or punctuation) and it should create your symbol automatically.

Please note I haven't tested it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines