• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix edges of composition after ripple effect applied

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be a pretty basic fix for this, but I'm still scratching my head.

I have a composition (1920x800) with a complex precomp as a layer (this precomp is 2200x1400). I have an adjustment layer above that (also 2200x1400) with the Ripple effect applied.

The Ripple effect on the adjustment layer produces black/transparent pixels around the edges, which I'd expect if the precomp below were the size of the main comp (1920x800) but it's much larger.

If I apply the Ripple effect to the precomp itself, no problem. It reads the image data of the precomp that's cropped and works as it should.

But, unfortunately, I can't keep it on the precomp because I need the Ripple effect parented to movement and scaling from another separate layer, which is why I have it on the adjustment layer, and that adjustment layer is a child.

SO... what am I missing? How do I get the adjustment layer's Ripple effect apply to the whole size of the precomp below it?

Make sense?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Thanks for the replies Rick and Mylenium! Tying the effect to a pick whip expression was for sure the way to go, which I ended up doing in a different part of the sequence to do something similar. For this particular shot it didn't quite do it (I massively simplified the situation when I first described the issue, but there were a few reasons I couldn't do something as simple as just precomp with a bigger composition, because that one had certain parameters that were parents to other layers... a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to see the problem. Nothing stops you from using a bigger comp and pre-composing it again after you have worked your magic. Everything else doesn't make sense, anyway. You wouldn't parent adjustment layers but rather connect effects parameters using pickwhip expressions. Your whole workflow is flawed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Mylenium. Your workflow is flawed because you don't have a good understanding of how things render and how adjustment layers work. Personally I would put some sliders in the main comp that were tied to ripple effect properties you want to animate in the nested (pre) comp. Then I would tie the sliders to the other values you want to drive the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Mylenium and Rick's answers help you? If so, please mark them as helpful and pick one to mark as the Correct Answer by pressing that green star button under their post. If you need further help after trying what they've suggested, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies Rick and Mylenium! Tying the effect to a pick whip expression was for sure the way to go, which I ended up doing in a different part of the sequence to do something similar. For this particular shot it didn't quite do it (I massively simplified the situation when I first described the issue, but there were a few reasons I couldn't do something as simple as just precomp with a bigger composition, because that one had certain parameters that were parents to other layers... and well, actually the much shorter reason is that this sequence was the result of several months and several people's work so there was a domino effect on changing certain parameters in certain shots).

The most ideal situation, if time were no issue, would be to re-organise the whole project.

But in this case, the quick fix I found was to simply add a Fast Blur effect before the ripple in the effect order, turn the blur amount to 0, and tick the 'Repeat Edges' box. And that did the trick! (Not an elegant solution, perhaps, but hey...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines