Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't recover trashed 358-page InDesign CC 2017 document

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I'm a fuss-pot for details, but somehow I trashed my 358-page InDesign CC 2017 document,

and no way could find out how to recover it.

It looks like, judging by what I found about recovery, my docs are not automatically backed-up.

I have my own backup on an external disk, but it's 8 days old and missing data since then.

Please help. Thank you very much,

Morty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markzware has a file recovery service you can pay for:

DTP File Recovery Service | Markzware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your file corrupted? That is do you have it but it won't open? In that case Markzware's product is the place to go.

But if you put your file in the trash (or recycle bin) and then emptied them, you need a hard disk recovery service. And even then you may not get much. Especially if you've been writing on and off of the hard disk.

Are you sure you trashed it? Or maybe it's sitting in the trash but it wasn't emptied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not corrupted, Sandee. Was green-no-errors.

It opens, but it's all gone.

By trashed, I mean I must have accidentally highlighted it (I had a Word doc and a TextEdit doc open same time),

then tapped it accidentally and didn't notice it became blank because I was attending to the other docs, which had

things in it that related to my InDesign doc.

Not in the trash.

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty: I am so sorry to hear this. I know how hard you have been working on this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What many of us who have used technology over the years have learned is the maxim “save and backup early and often” even if it appears somewhat inconvenient. This applies not only to InDesign documents, but virtually any type of digital asset that is being worked on for a period of time with numerous edit cycles including spreadsheets, photos, presentations, etc.

In my own work using InDesign, it is not unusual for me to work for an hour, save (using “save as”) the document, close the document, copy the document to a backup location with a “generation name,” and then reopen the document in InDesign. (If you are particularly concerned about document integrity, you might also do a IDML save as well!) I do the same thing when doing complex image edits and spreadsheet edits. It may seem like paranoia, but it has saved my tuchas many times.       

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely Dov - everyone should copy your wise words and print them out stick them where they can see them constantly. Mind you I don't know what a "tuchas" is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where the sun doesn't shine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please quote where I "complained," Staff Dov. 

"Duh"? Yeah, full backups of everything—excuse me, but I goofed this time, okay?

I'm 81 and published a small press from 1975 to 2000, from mimeograph to camera-ready copy

to PDFs to the printer. A one-person operation.

My The Spirit That Moves Us Press even was the first to publish in English in the U.S.A., a book

of poetry by Jaroslav Seifert—The Casting Of Bells—who won the Nobel Prize in Literature the following year, 1984.

By the way, as far as tuchas is concerned, it is shine upon in nudist colonies, to mention one place.

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to be rude Morty, people on here are trying to help you (and others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respect your elders, Derek. I don't need to be told what I have a need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another way to avoid this type of headache:

Why I Always Work in a Dropbox Folder and Why You Should, Too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob—DropBox is something I've only had to use for this book, working with people elsewhere. I'll never use it again

and so it's not worth it for me to upgrade from the free version for this 358-page book.

By the way, Bob and all, I'd like to let you know my loss of that current copy of the book turned-out to not be

a total loss. I had backup from two days previously, and notes from myself an co-editors to bring that version

to a satisfactory state.

Thank you,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you had something backed up to a recent version that’s good. But I think the $99/year for Dropbox is well worth the insurance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox is great, or, if you have a current subscription to Office 365 it comes with a full 1TB on OneDrive -- which is effectively the same as Dropbox.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big fan of OneDrive and Office 365. It’s a huge bargain but I’m not sure they give you the same version control for non-office applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone,

Gentle reminder that the forums are a space to share solutions and help others with issues they encounter. Please be respectful to one another - everyone has varying levels of knowledge and the forums are a space to learn from each other.

Glad you were able to get a working version of your book together, Morty!

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respect works both ways.

Since you mentioned that you were able to recover/reconstruct the document, one would hope you would be in a more mellow state of mind.

Now, almost a month later, you post a nasty slur (thankfully it has been deleted) about another forum member.

Why?

--------------------------------------------------------------

"It's about time the piano realize it has not written the concerto!"    All About Eve - 1950

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS:     It is absolutely amazing how many posts we get about users having some serious hardware failure and complaining to Adobe that their documents, fonts, and other digital assets are lost and that Adobe can't help get them back. Duh — how about regular full backups of your systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but somehow I trashed my 358-page InDesign CC 2017 document,

and no way could find out how to recover it.

There are a number of file recovery apps out there some are free. I've used Stellar Recovery and it works great. It's not free, but the demo will tell you if the trashed file is still there.

Data Recovery Software Free Download – Stellar Data Recovery

The sooner you run a file recovery utility after the loss the better the chance of recovering trashed files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines