Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GH5 4k - 10 bit files not working with Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me on this.

I am the proud new owner of a Panasonic GH5. I shot my first project with the new camera in 24p 4k 10bit 422 colour, however when I try to play these files back / import/ grade them premiere pro crashes and shuts down.

I really need to start editing this project asap, does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps I am doing something silly?

PS My editing system is intel xenon, Nividia GTX960, 32gb Ram, all programmes are run on ssd.

Premiere Pro CC is currently installed on latest update.@

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 114 Replies 114
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem. Both 10-bit codecs for the GH5, MOV and MP4 are resulting in a low-level exception error in the MPEG importer when you try to bring them into PP.

David, as a workaround for your current project you can rewrap those files in a solid codec. I plopped my footage in AME and transcoded them to ProRes which allowed me to use them for the time being.

However, this is not a long term solution, and hopefully the Adobe folks will get their software up to speed so it can play along with Panasonic's new codecs.

I'll have to resort to shooting in 8 bit until they do 😕

If anyone from Adobe would like more information I can provide crash reports. I also submitted a bug report a few minutes ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem too.  It's crashed every single time I've tried to play back footage from the 10 bit GH5 footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do hope everyone in this thread ... or having a GH5 and reading it ... and maybe others ... will file the bug report. They don't respond but these do get to all manager types for planning of engineer workloads.

Neil

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please! I have filed one, please do the same. Make note of the the low-level exception error if that's indeed what you're seeing as well. Thanks for including the link Neil, I should have done that myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the reply

I have never used Media Encoder before, what Preset is ProRes under ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on PC, you don't have ProRes as an encoding option, as ... it's an Apple-created codec, and they are famous for their kindergarten-attitude of jealousy over "their" things.

DNxHD/R is the pretty exact equivalent within PC ... and is completely cross-platform so also available within Mac ... and is more recently designed, considered more optimized for modern gear & media than ProRes.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David:

If you're running Premiere Pro on Mac, Apple ProRes is an excellent choice and you can download and install the Apple ProRes presets from Adobe here: Adobe - Adobe Media Encoder : For Macintosh : AME CC 2014.1 ProRes presets (Mac only)

Even though it's named for "CC 2014.1" it works with 2015 and 2017 as well.

If you're running Premiere on Windows, you'll have to go with a CODEC like Cineform or DNxHD (both are good for editing).

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PatrickM,

Hmm, you bring up an interesting topic. I wonder if ClipWrap might help to workaround this issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin!

Would you be able to provide an ETA for when the program may receive an update to fix the crash error? - as it seems to be pretty widespread.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Not sure what you were talking about specifically. I'm not having trouble rewrapping media in AME, but it is a workaround, not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Premiere crashes when I try to play back the footage. It'll play for a few stuttering seconds then Premiere vanishes.

I'm on a very beefy Mac running 10.12.3 and latest version of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patrick's comment above, where he notes he can transcode them in AME, is hopefully something that can get you working though.

I'm guessing they went to a very high level of compression to get the 10-bit to write fast enough on the card in-camera. And maybe, like another camera maker did with one of it's setups, used a not-common option to do so.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an Update

Adobe tech support connected to my computer and still couldn't get it to work,

They requested I send some 4k 10 bit footage to them so they may test on their systems.

The Tech Support member also stated an update should be out within a week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the GH5 before it launched as a reviewer unit - I have been editing some of the footage recently and although I didn't have any crashes, the playback performance was very poor indeed. Slow, thumbnails not showing etc. I transcoded to DNxHR and it played ultra smoothly. So maybe try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have a problem with it crashing, but I did find that if I set the video quality to anything but Full, it would barely play the videos back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just shot my first 4k UHD 10bit on the GH5.  The MOV file will appear in PP2017CC but plays very slowly, perhaps a frame every 45 seconds or so, even after selecting 1/8 scale.  I transcoded (ingested through Prelude & AME) it to DNxHR HQX which is the 4:2:2 10bit flavor of DNx. It plays in premier slow (not smooth) but faster than the MOV file.  The DNx sky shows terrible banding.  I opened the same DNxHR HQX file in Davinci Resolve 12.5 and see no banding and it plays fine.

Operating System:  Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Installed Memory: 64 gGB

Processor: i7 6700k

Graphics: GeForce GTX 1080 w/8 GB memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hearing about this issue not only with Premiere Pro, but also with Final Cut X and even Resolve.

I'm thinking that folks might be better off skipping 10 bit until the August 400 Mb/s firmware update hits. Which personally I feel is the only mode worth using on the camera.  150 Mb/s just isn't enough data for 4:2:2 at 4K.  But that's an aside really.  The better reason is that this gives the software companies time to program changes so the media works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be asking the PrPro engineers about that at NAB in a couple weeks.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you have their ears, how about asking them to give us a simple app that will allow us to trim our 10-bit files w/o rendering?  Even though I have the full Adobe suite, I've been using MPEG Streamclip to quickly scrub through files and trim out what I don't need w/o re-encoding, however it won't play the 10-bit files.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only "had their ears" while I was at NAB in Vegas, stopping in at their booth. You've got their "ears" as much here as I do ... enjoy!

File a bug/feature report form for that ... I certainly have! As have many others ... simple (and fast) re-wrapping seems a totally logical capability for reassembling projects & such, I'm totally mystified why this doesn't seem so to the managers of the program ... yea.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"While you have their ears, how about asking them to give us a simple app that will allow us to trim our 10-bit files w/o rendering?  Even though I have the full Adobe suite, I've been using MPEG Streamclip to quickly scrub through files and trim out what I don't need w/o re-encoding, however it won't play the 10-bit files.  Thanks!"

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2314623

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for passing this on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video shows editing problems on the mac as well as has the sample 10 bit GH5 4k file for download I used in the video so you can try it yourself.  I am having the same issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARg-eT_9bM0

GH5 10-bit Issues: editing in Premiere Pro - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the video. It looks like you are having an OK time playing back, it's when you reopen the project you experience a crash. Please file a bug here and I'll look into your problem from my angle.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines