Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with opening two frame by single hyperlink

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI to everyone,

I making a project , in that i want if i click on a particular hyperlink. then it open two Different frame which is showing different content . one is in the same page in which is h yperlink is appearing pelink (means in the same frame ) and the other frame showing some other content , Robohelp allowing to do this event seprately but not simultanously............i want to perform this both frame should be open at same time by single click...........

plz if any one know solution of this problem plz let me know.....................
Thank's
Roziao

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 12, 2008 Jan 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roziao

Normally you would do this by creating what we call a frameset. Click File > New > Frameset and you should be able to define the frameset. You will give the frameset file a name, then choose how it is presented to the user. You will likely choose the two pane frameset. After you do this, you then assign one HTML page to display in one of the frames and another to display in the second frame. After you have it all defined, you then establish a link to the frameset. Your user clicks the link and tadaaaa! They see two pages load up. One in each frame of your frameset.

Hopefully this was what you were looking for... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2008 Jan 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thank's for ur quicker response its very appricatable...........really very fast response is ......
but the problem is you are totally correct with the frame set but when i tried with it then
it showing content in two diferent frame but on a single page not showing both fram in different page .and there is no sepration between frames means no seprater mark line is there.
can u sugess if u kow how can we show this two frame in a different window not in same window.simultanously when we click on a button then this both two frame work simultanously.
hope waiting for reply..

thank's
roziao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboWizard,

Your reply below is leading me to believe I can display two pages in two different frames from a single hyperlink, but I find this is not possible in the RH UI. Here is an outline of my experience with frames (limited though it is!)...

I have a topic called Blurb.htm that displays on a non-frame page. I want to click a hyperlink from Blurb.htm to open a page containing Outline.htm in a 'Details' frame on the right side of the page, and Contents.htm in a 'TOC' frame on the left side of the page.

When I create the hyperlink in Blurb.htm I am required to select a topic and specify which frame to display it in. Example, I select Outline.htm and specify the 'Details' frame. How do I also specify that when it opens Outline.htm in the 'Details' frame I want it to also display Contents.htm in the 'TOC' frame?

I have previously followed some advice using information from either your or Peter Grainge's website (sorry, it was a while ago now and my memory is failing me exactly what instructions I was following), but I had no success. Is this something you need to alter in the html code?

After completing some other work I am now jumping back to this where I ideally need to open two pages in different frames on the same page from a single hyperlink. Would you please expand further explaining how I can achieve this?

Many thanks,

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LIz

Certainly you can do this.

Within RoboHelp, you need to click File > New > Frameset. This will launch a wizard that will first ask for things like the name and title of the page (as you would expect for a topic) and have an area where you choose how the page is split. Make those choices and click Next.

You then begin defining the attributes for the left frame. (width or height, whether scroll bars are possible, which topic should appear in the frame, etc.)

Once finished there, in the upper left area of the wizard, click the other area. It should be represented in gray and turn blue once you click it. Note that all the fields you just completed will reset. It's ready for you to define the attributes for the other frame.

After you get everything defined, close the wizard. You should see an odd looking icon in your project. That icon represents the frameset. That is the file you then link to from your "blurb.htm" page.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi RoboWizard,

I understand (I think!!!) about how to create a frameset using the method you detailed. Say I create a frameset with 2 frames: 'TOC' frame on the left and 'Details' frame on the right. When I create the frameset I specify the default 'TOC' topic as tralala.htm, which is a basic list of contents. I don't know the full list of contents to display until the user clicks on a link to display a topic in the 'Details' frame. I specify the default 'Details' topic as Welcome.htm, which is an introductory topic.

Say my initial Blurb.htm topic (as described in my previous post) contains two links:
How to make a cup of tea
How to perform a headstand

If I click on 'How to make a cup of tea' I would like to display my Outline.htm topic in the 'Details' frame giving an intro about tea and the art or making it, and a task list Contents.htm in the 'TOC' frame detailing each step in making a cup of tea. When I click on a link in Contents.htm, it updates to the relevant topic in the 'Details' frame.

If I click on 'How to perform a headstand' I would like to display Outline2,htm topic in the 'Details' frame giving an intro about balancing and seeing life upside down, and a task list Contents2.htm in the 'TOC' frame detailing each step in performing a headstand. When I click on a link in Contents2.htm, it updates to the relevant topic in the 'Details' frame.

However, what actually happens is:
I click on 'How to make a cup of tea'. Outline.htm topic displays in the 'Details' frame, and the tralala.htm is still displayed in the 'TOC' frame. To display Contents.htm in the 'TOC' frame, I would have click on a separate link.

Same problem when I click on 'How to perform a headstand'.

I hope this example explains my problem a little better. Do you understand?

I'm sure there is something blatently obvious that will overcome the problem. I've only recently discovered frames, so my knowledge is not the greatest on this subject and hope there is an easy answer to solve my issue. I'm hoping for a 'Doh!' moment!

Many thanks for your help.

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp