• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Standard Photoshop VS.Lightroom/CC?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop starting with 2008 all the way to 2014.It seems to do everything I could want to do with editing and file storage.I keep getting ad's for Light room and CC.and have tried a free trial.I really don't understand what the hoopla is all about with CC and Lightroom.What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

It isn't about features alone, because technically, Photoshop does much more. Part of the appeal of Lightroom is that it's a streamlined workflow.

Without Lightroom, to take a image from camera through to print, you do have all of the tools you need with Photoshop and Adobe Bridge:

1. To import photos, copy them manually, or automate it using Adobe Camera Downloader which comes with Adobe Bridge.
  2. To organize and select photos for editing, use Adobe Bridge.
  3. To edit raw format photos, open them from Brid

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is mainly targeted towards photographers that wish to do standard photo raw edits similar to darkroom techniques (lightroom get it?) compared to a more robust application with Photoshop that allows for layers, creation, etc.

There is obviously overlap, but where Lightroom ends with a finished photo, Photoshop takes over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot in raw and like the results.A local printer that specializes in

custom art printing recommended trying LR for his requirements for color

profiles.He was pressed for time and could not go into details.I'll have to

attend one of his class's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daddypepperrubyshoe1  wrote

I shoot in raw and like the results.A local printer that  specializes in

custom art printing recommended trying LR for his requirements for color

profiles.He was pressed for time and could not go into details.I'll have to

attend one of his class's.

What are his requirements?  There is no reason to go through the hoopla of Lightroom if all you want is that.  (Disclosure:  Lightroom is my favorite and I'm learning to treat Photoshop as a specialized plug-in for certain key functions.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The printer specializes in Acrylescent,Metallichrome,Alumalux ,and custom

canvas prints.He does not work with SRGB profile.I'll learn more with a

proper sit down with him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of articles online comparing the two

Photoshop vs Lightroom

Lightroom includes image editing tools and image management (cataloging). A large part of Lightroom is its Library module where you manage your image collections (filters, metadata, keywords etc) so you can sort, filter, manage and compare hundreds of thousands (or millions) of images over the years and retrieve them quickly. Photoshop offers no cataloging or image management. You need other tools or the operating system to manage your images.

Lightroom is really aimed at photographers. Photoshop is aimed at anyone who wants to edit images (photographers, graphics artists etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is my favorite tool for working with my raw images. But if you have a good workflow with Photoshop that you're comfortable with then don't worry about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't about features alone, because technically, Photoshop does much more. Part of the appeal of Lightroom is that it's a streamlined workflow.

Without Lightroom, to take a image from camera through to print, you do have all of the tools you need with Photoshop and Adobe Bridge:

1. To import photos, copy them manually, or automate it using Adobe Camera Downloader which comes with Adobe Bridge.
  2. To organize and select photos for editing, use Adobe Bridge.
  3. To edit raw format photos, open them from Bridge into Adobe Camera Raw (same raw controls as in Lightroom).
  4. To print, open them from Bridge or Camera Raw into Photoshop.

But that's three or four different pieces of software with different tools and shortcuts, just to open, edit, and print a raw file.

In Lightroom, you can do all of those start-to-finish steps without switching to another program: Automated imports, organizing and culling large batches, editing with raw controls, printing. To many, that unified integration is a much faster and more productive way to get through a lot of work; and if an image needs more work than Lightroom can handle, it can be opened from Lightroom into Photoshop.

There are a lot of people who still prefer to work in Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop, so if you like working that way there's no need to switch.

As far as the print workflow, both Lightroom and Photoshop have the necessary color profile options to make professional quality prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines