• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2017.1 crashes when imported Illustrator file is updated in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Illustrator file that I've imported as a layered comp in After Effects. It's a pretty simple AI file with ~30 layers of icons. If I make any changes to that Illustrator file in Illustrator, After Effects will crash when I go back over to it to see the updated file. This is a consistent crash and a BIG hurdle in my workflow. Anyone else have this problem and is their a workaround/fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the exact, full, version numbers of both AE and Illustrator?

Is your Illustrator file in RGB space or CMYK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out it was the Illustrator file. One of the layers had something in it After Effects didn't like. I tried dropping the same AI file into a new AE project and had the same results. So I deleted one layer in the AI file and saved that. I went back to After Effects, and wasn't greeted with a crash--AE handled the updated AI file fine and dandy. So it looks to be alright now.  

As to the specs:

OS is Windows 7

AE is version 14.1.0.57

AI is version 21.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm glad you found the troublesome layer!

Any clues as to what made that layer so evil?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure. There's a few Clip Groups with embedded images in the evil layer. The file size went from 3.6 MB to 277 KB after deleting that layer, so there was apparently a lot of data within that one layer. This was pulled from a PDF, so that evil layer was my "junk" layer--I didn't have need for it, but didn't want to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trvst  wrote

I didn't have need for it, but didn't want to get rid of it.

I'm sure there's a life lesson in here somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having problems with any of my files. I don't know of any reported bugs. We need a lot more detail to make an assessment.

The first thing I would do is to turn off all effects in your comp, make the edits in Illustrator, and then see if you still get a crash. If you don't you can start by turning on your layers one at a time. You can find the effects switch in the timeline in the Switches column. There is a possibility that an effect does not like the changes.

Let us know if that narrows down the problem. If not we need workflow, system, OS and AE and AI version details down to the last decimal point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 2017 is still sporadically crashing when I update AI files. Doesn't always happen, but it will randomly happen. It's also still frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be frustrating. How frequently does it occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. After effects is putting me through pains right now. It is seeming impossible to import illustrator files without the software crashing. I have searched online but no solution to the problem. Can someone please help.

I am using Dell E5440

8 gig ram

Nvidia 720M

Corei5 4the generation

My after effects version is CC 2017

I have updated all the drivers on my computer. Please any help would be very much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I´m having a much similar trouble with the After Effects CC 2019. Did you found out the solution by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines