• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 won't render certain OpenType and TrueType fonts.

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  am having trouble getting InDesign CS6 to properly render certain Asian TrueType and OpenType fonts.

This is on a PC running Windows 10 Enterprise.

Am placing text into InDesign files from Microsoft Word documents using these fonts. They render in Word, but not in InDesign.

Have checked the bottom of my InDesign font list for Asian fonts, and the fonts are not among them.

So obtained legal files and installed the fonts in my Windows 10 Fonts control panel.

For a Laotian version, our partners require me to use the font

Am required to use these exact fonts in Khmer and Lao translations of a fact sheet,
For the Laotian fact sheet, am required to use the font Saysettha Lao (TTF).

Was using Phetsarath (OT) but am told it does not render the text correctly.

When I switch to Saysthetta, nothing but boxes appear in the InDesign text frame.

syasthetta font not working.png

For the Khmer fact sheet, am required to use the font Khmer OS Content.TTF.

Am having better luck with it, but certain glyphs are dropping out.

Khmer OS Content dropouts.png

But the font renders all glyphs in Microsoft Word 2016 for Windows

Khmer OS in Microsoft Word.png

Am trying to find versions of these fonts that InDesign CS 6 will load.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be aware that CS6 is not supported under Windows 10 so there’s no assurance that anything will work, but there are some things you can try.

Put the fonts into the InDesign fonts folder

Use a Document fonts folder for specific documents

Run InDesign in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As InDesign always has used its own internal OpenType engine, I doubt it's a question of compatibility. (Unless you are sure that these same fonts render correctly on an older system!)

InDesign CS6 just does not support all possible OpenType functionality, esp. those that are required to render scripts such as these. Even with the very latest version -- download the trial and test -- it'll be anyone's guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We had the same font issue under Windows 7, but will try running InDesign with Windows 7 compatibility mode (need to figure out how to do that).

The gears are slowly turning to switch to Creative Cloud in my particular workgroup. But the fact sheets need to be done before thathappens, so will give this one last shot before laying out the two translations in Microsoft Publisher 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines