Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make child without changing current parameters

Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure where this all changed, but surely there is a way to attach a parent to a layer and that layer, the child, not - off somewhere else.

Isn't this how it always worked?

I'm sure there is a way to script/expression it, but I just want to attach something to another movement from this specific point

Have I forgotten some basics or is this a change I never noticed?

Tris

Warning: Profanity. The forums have people under 18 viewing. Thanks. —Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing anything about your project and comp layout nobody can tell you much. By default of course AE uses a "parent in place" approach and compensates wvalues, but you may be using some expression or effect that messes with this. Conversely, if you use shape layers some rules change due to the group transforms. Impossible to tell. we really need to know more.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you do and I find this consistently.

Personally I try to answer what I can, and rarely find having a ton of project specific information useful.

And I am much more interested in general insight rather than asking for help on this one case, as are most other reases of this thread, apart from maybe my client!

You could explain what could cause a parented object to move, or under what circumstances it moves

But anyway...

You sort of answered it anyway, apart from maybe saying "... so make sure you reset anchor points in shape layers" or similar.

or maybe expanding on what "compensates values" really means as the user experience is that nothing has changed, when I guess it has.

I have a text layer

I want to parent it to a shape layer

oh hang on

shape layers don't obey any laws of logic

Maybe that is my wider issue, understanding shape layer logic

The shape layer is scaled up; it may have an offset Anchor point

Regardless when I parent the type to the shape there is no way to keep it still

None are 3d

No expressions are used

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape layers are their own size, and they don't have much in common with either the size of comps or solids.  So the normal rules don't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could explain what could cause a parented object to move, or under what circumstances it moves

if you have no expression to the parent or child, your child should not move as you parent. show us your setup and press UU so we can see all the modified properties. do a "before" and "after" to demonstrate the layer shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi tristansummers,

Did you get your issue solved here? Please let us know as we did not hear back from you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines