• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rotoscope/color mask two colors on a person?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am pretty new to motion graphics so I apologize if this is a rudimentary or poorly worded question!

I am trying to rotoscope a person playing guitar where the person's body would then become one color, and then the guitar would be another color.

After that I am hoping to color key both of those colors so that they become textured backgrounds (so the body would be one background and the guitar would be another).

Is that possible or feasible?

Any help would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have two different things to deal with.

1.  Rotoscoping one or the other from the scene, which I'd guess is easiest to do the guitar.

2.  Recoloring the different layers (easiest).

First, duplicate the footage, place the main one below, lock it.

Select top layer (second copy), and begin the roto.

Not sure how long you are talking about but obviously, the longer and more movement, the more difficult it will be.  I'd also expect that you'd have to take your time to work around where the hands meet the guitar.  I'd either roto the guitar out or just a mask may be sufficient depending on the footage.

If this is a stylized look you are going after, then how meticulous you get (or not) may give you more flexibility.  What I mean is, you may be ok with a widened, softened mask to where one color bleeds over to the other a little bit, etc.

Past that, using any number of the colorization tools, you can adjust the color.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Composites are nothing but layers. Don't try and do everything on one layer. Use one layer for the guitar and the other for the person. Then either use the layers as track mattes or make the Guitar one comp and the Person the other and then put both comps in the main comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i still feel confused. after rotoscoping, how do I replace the image (the guitar) with a different layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain? I understood you wanted to have the guitar a different color than the person.  If you are referring to the other gentleman's comment, I think we agree, separate layers.

If you rotoscope one layer (guitar) place on top of lower layer, you can change color of the guitar layer OR change color of lower layer.

I need to better understand what you mean by replacing a layer.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my apologies, i'll try to be more descript.

I am making a small 1 min video as a promo for a music festival. All of the text is stop motion animation where the background is newspaper and then the letters that I cut out in real time are green but then chroma keyed (in premiere) the letters to be glitter ( close up video of glitter twirling around ). Cut in between those titles, I had this idea that I would have little small 4 seconds of little people playing different instruments (guitar, drums, vocals, bass) where the body of the people would be newspaper and the instruments would be that twirling glitter footage.

I have footage of people playing those four instruments. I am not sure how not only to remove the background in the footage so that i only have the person playing the instrument, but then to isolate the instrument and the person and thennnn have the body be newspaper and the instrument be glitter.

Since i'm going for a stop motion animation style, i'm not looking to be super detailed. more just cute and artsy. But i would hope that at the most you would be able to tell that it's a person playing an instrument.

Does that make sense? Would that be too hard to do?

Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think in layers.

And check out this resource for rotoscoping in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a still image of what you are trying to do?  I'm not quite visualizing what you are going after.  My first thought was that you wanted to separate the man from the guitar in order to recolor them.  Clearly, you would also want to separate the background, the guy, and the guitar at minimum.  Past that, I can't quite see what your intent is.  Where do the guys dancing around fit in?  Some images would be helpful.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JamieT,

Did you ever complete your roto effect? Please let us know if our experts’ advice helped you or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines