• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Everything is still functional but doesn't load, noticeable when scrolling and boxes turn black

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign freezes at random except it isn't actually frozen. Things are still functional and I can click them, for instance, I can scroll up and down through the pages, but they just load as one big white page with nothing on it. When I hover my mouse over certain things they turn black as well.

I've actually been having problems with the entire Adobe suite. Every now and then, the program I'm using will just begin flashing, almost as if it's being minimized and re-opened rapidly, then if I try to click it, it will sometimes just crash the program saying it's not responding.
My computer in general sometimes does this on other programs or even just with the windows explorer. However, it's not as harsh and often doesn't need anything restarting.

Both problems need the program to be restarted in order to be fixed which is annoying.

I'm not sure what is causing these issues. Any help would be very appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KristenKenyon  wrote

My computer in general sometimes does this on other programs or even just with the windows explorer.

sounds like you need to fix your computer (or perhaps get a new one)... but what is it?

make | model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why though, it runs blazing fast and really this is the only fault.

It's a custom built PC but the specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

RAM: 16 GB (32 GB installed)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KristenKenyon  wrote

I don't see why though, it runs blazing fast and really this is the only fault.

Gee the fact that it sometimes stops working is not what I call a minor fault but perhaps you can improve that;

what you are discribing sounds like a imput issue i.e, the system is trying to do too much (probably in the background) and just slows down to a stand still. If we say it was running better before then its clear that something changed.

I would consider;

a new machine with ssd harddrive,

remove | replace the antivirus software with something that doesn't have a big footprint so try Avast or AVG

reinstalling Windows with a fresh install... you can't run Windows 7 home on a ssd but you could use a sshd (type of Solid State Hybrid Technology) and that tends to be the best way to revitalise old systems without blowing the budget

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm okay,

I actually already have an SSD which the operating system and Adobe Suite are installed on

I've also had the issue after making sure everything else is closed to see if it was because the PC is trying to do too much.

I'm currently using The default windows/ Microsoft software along with Spybot and some other programs that are all relatively small in terms of the effect on performance.

I may have to do a fresh install. I'm a bit worried about that though as I don't have the original disk I used to install windows or the box anymore and I'm worried I'll need them when it's restarting. Also worried about how to and what to back up on my external hard drive.

Thank you for all your help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For InDesign, I would suggest trashing preferences to see if that makes a difference. There are two ways—if one doesn't work try the other.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, what do you mean by "trashing"? I've just looked in the preferences and can't seem to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit InDesign, and then before launching it again hold down: Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Cmd When the application starts you'll see a dialog asking if you want to delete InDesign's preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kristin: I posted the link explaining what I meant above. Here it is again:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences.

There are two techniques to accomplish this: the keystroke command as well as locating and manually deleting the InDesign Defaults file and the InDesign SavedData files. Note that they reside in folders normally hidden by Windows, so you will have to show hidden folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines