Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't extract embedded original tiff

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I converted some tiffs to dng in Lightroom, but am unable to extract the original tiffs out using Adobe Digital Negative Convertor. I get the message "No embedded originals were extracted."

I did a test during conversion to dng with the option to include the original file on and off and the corresponding dng's are of different sizes, so I assume the original was embedded.

Any ideas on how to extract the tiffs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

I just did a little experiment.  I took an 8 bit TIFF and converted to DNG while saving the original TIFF.  I then did a RESET in Lightroom on the DNG (this may not be necessary), exported a TIFF of this DNG with a different name using no resize and 8 bit and then imported these before/after TIFFs into Photoshop as layers.  On the top layer I set the blend to DIFFERENCE and the result was ALL black so the before convert to DNG TIFF is the same as the after export TIFF.

Conclusion:   Just export

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a little experiment.  I took an 8 bit TIFF and converted to DNG while saving the original TIFF.  I then did a RESET in Lightroom on the DNG (this may not be necessary), exported a TIFF of this DNG with a different name using no resize and 8 bit and then imported these before/after TIFFs into Photoshop as layers.  On the top layer I set the blend to DIFFERENCE and the result was ALL black so the before convert to DNG TIFF is the same as the after export TIFF.

Conclusion:   Just export your DNG files as TIFF and you will have the original, even if the original TIFF was not embedded.

PS   Don't use compression on the export!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob,

its useful to know, I was hoping that I could embed and export tif to save the layers within the file which get flattened for the dng.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option is "Embed Original Raw File". A TIFF is not a Raw file so the DNG converter in LR, or the stand alone DNG converter, will not Embed the TIFF file into the DNG.

Why are you converting TIFF files to DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did think it was ignoring the tif because it isn't a raw file, but the dng file size seemed to indicate that something got embedded with the option on.

I would like to be able to use dng for my tifs because of the checksum created and being able to validate the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines