• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign CC (2017) Slow When Computer Connected To Server

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are facing a problem with InDesign when the computer is connected to a server. Even if we work locally, InDesign will freeze for periods of 10-15 seconds, and sometimes longer. As soon as we unmount the server of connected computers, InDesign is fine.

See at this end to this thread (page 4 to 7)

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2234580?start=120&tstart=0

We have many mac running the lastest OSX and InDesign having the same problem, as soon as they are connected to our server, InDesign is unresponsive. Beachball appears and the application is stuck for 10-15 seconds. If we unmount the server, problem's solved... but we need our server connected in order to work.

Adobe Please do something about this, it's a huge issue for us and your software is not working as advertised, and we are paying too much money to adobe for them to ignore our complaints.

Mac OS X 10.12.4 InDesign CC (2017) 12.0.0.81

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been few issues with InDesign running with the latest macOS version i.e. 10.12.4 in some of the scenarios as can be inferred from InDesign 2017CC Freezes MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 .

You can try disabling GPU Performance and try the same if this resolves your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have already tried disabling GPU performance on multiple occasion without any success. Even the Adobe technician over the phone and chat tried that. That is not the problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also experienced same issue at my organisation since over 4 months now.

Its surprising how some staff can give totally unrelated answers.The problem as stated clearly is with SERVER and not GPU.

Took me a great while to understand how GPU works.Annoyed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing incredible delays. Click on an object, wait 30-40 seconds with a spinning beach ball. It's not the speed of my Mac. I have MacPro 12-core with 32GB of RAM. I am running OS 10.12.4 and InDesign 10.0.0.81 Build. It is utterly maddening to use. I have deadlines and things are taking 2-3 times as long because of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lcg_2012  wrote

I too am experiencing incredible delays. Click on an object, wait 30-40 seconds with a spinning beach ball. It's not the speed of my Mac. I have MacPro 12-core with 32GB of RAM. I am running OS 10.12.4 and InDesign 10.0.0.81 Build. It is utterly maddening to use. I have deadlines and things are taking 2-3 times as long because of this.

Exactly what I'm talking about. I sure hope Adobe is on the case around the clock...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubtful. They had an issue with Dreamweaver "connecting to server" for YEARS. Finally have a fix for that, but the fix has to applied every time you open DW. Doesn't remember the setting to prevent the issue once you close. Come on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Things are taking way way too long. Move an object slightly and watch the beachball for 30 secs. We too are working off a server. Adobe any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was you I would installed the latest patch 2017.1 version 12.1.0.56. I was experiencing these issues and going round and round in circles. 2017.1 update fixed it completely and has been working perfect ever since. It is a massive issue but I believe it has been addressed in the latest patch 'quietly' by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stfchampagne,

Please try the suggestion made above by jb to update your InDesign to the latest version 12.1.0.56. There were many issues addressed in the latest update and it could solve your problem. Do report the result.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. I work for a publisher house and i stop working of the server because it was slowing me down. I move files locally and work. Move files back when done. It is a better workflow if you have a time machine since it will make backups for you every hour versus the company shared drive which makes backups once a day.

I think you should stay working locally and dismount if just having the connection open causes issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having exactly the same problem here, for months now...

Updated version 12.1.0.56 and running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6...

It is indeed a BIG problem and we DEMAND an urgent solution.

Great lost of time and money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indesign and muse use a single file system and that should never be run from a server of any kind; so nas, dropbox and Adobe CC are good for backups but not two or more users sharing (and actively working from) the files.

if You work local and move files to the server when done your issues will go away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JonathanArias  wrote

indesign and muse use a single file system and that should never be run from a server of any kind; so nas, dropbox and Adobe CC are good for backups but not two or more users sharing (and actively working from) the files.

if You work local and move files to the server when done your issues will go away

I strongly disagree with this statement.

Adobe software is intended to be used in a collaborative environments. Modern/well configured networks should not be behaving in this manner. It should be transparent to the user.

Any issues such as this should be addressed through an IT department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually got this answer from Lounge, i went there to ask about this subject and the different answer given us and adobe.

working from the server issues answer

I just want to give the correct technical answer to this technical issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meant to say different answers given by us and adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can demand all you want, but I suspect you have some type of network issue. This is not normal behavior and you should have your IT people take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a thing. I am experiencing it.

I am using the latest verion of InDesign 15.0.2 and the latest MacOS 10.15.4.

When I am connected to a VPN and have a server mounted over VPN, InDesign slows to a crawl. Not Illustrator or Photoshop. Only InDesign. If I unmount the server, InDesign starts working normally, even if I am still connected to the VPN. Mount a server again, and InDesign gives me a spinning wheel every time I try to do something.

After all these versions of InDesign and MacOS, this is clearly an InDesign issue and not an issue with the network connection or MacOS, since no other application does this.

I will also mention that this is a clean install of InDesign (brand new preferences file) and a fairly new iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue with our organization. Exact same scenerio. Can someone please address this? During this mandatory stay at home, we as production designers are all working from home and have quick turn deadlines. This is slowing everyone down. We work directly from our connected server via VPN. We have to share files, so there is a problem pulling files out and working locally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kacton63

Aside from the slowdown issues, I would highly recommend you find a way to work locally and NOT save file over a VPN network through the internet. I have seen files (InDesign and otehr formats) become corrupt doing that because of the inconsistencies in network connections and other variables.

Just a friendly warning to save you some possible grief in the future.

My issue is that just with a server mounted it is slow, but I am working off files that I download from a VPN server first. I then have to unmount the server in order to return to working normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your response. This is easier said than done. Our jobs come into a Workfront que as they are ready for me to work on. All of our linked files are on the server and since we are production environment, we open a file, make updated changes and close file. I would have to keep disconnecting from the server way too many times. It would take me longer to do all the file logistics. There has to be a reason Adobe Indesign is doing this in the last several upgrades. Photoshop and Illustrator are not a problem. I have saved a file and reopened/converted back to Indesign 2014 and this isn't an issue in that version. Doesn't clock/spin at all. Unfortunately we are all on the most recent version now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines