• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Straighten out a photo?

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a side panel window mod I wanted to replicate with my own PC, so I've used perspective warp and adjusted the threshold to get an outline, but some of the lines aren't entirely straight, some are a bit curved and some aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical. I tried using adaptive wide angle but it kept spitting error dialogues back at me, and I have no idea how I'd manipulate the shapes to line up properly. For reference, the original image, the "stencil" I made, and the final result they achieved (pretty fantastic!). Additionally, I'd like to set the scale so I can print this out on several pieces of A4 paper.

Side panel.jpgStencil.jpgSide panel reference.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like an interesting project, but I am not sure if you are asking a question?  With that sort of graphic I nearly always make it again from scratch as a vector object.  Perfectly scale-able, and can be printed at any size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid question, how do I start doing ​that?

​What I wanted to do was align any lines that were ​meant​ to be straight, but are a bit wonky, and straighten out any lines with a slight curve to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid question, how do I start doing that?

Hi

No such thing as a stupid question, asking questions is what the forum is all about.

To do this as vectors, use the pen tool to draw the path and use it to create a shape that you want. You can use your image as a guide when drawing with the pen tool. When you are finished turn off the original image layer.

By putting each of the cut-out shapes on a separate layer , you can move them about freely (with the move tool)  to get the output that you want.

The advantage is that , because shapes are vectors and not pixel based, they can be scaled without loss of quality.

Drawing in Photoshop

A guide on how to use the pen tool is here:

Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! One thing I've been trying is live shapes, rounded rectangles are perfect for this. They're frustrating, though, in both Photoshop and illustrator. Can't transform and skew them without losing live shape functionality, or work with outlines instead of solid shapes. >.<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I've been trying is live shapes, rounded rectangles are perfect for this.  Can't transform and skew them without losing live shape functionality,

You lose access to the corner rounding  in properties if you warp it - which is understandable as those corners are no longer 90 degrees. You do still have access to the path so you can add further points and round manually.

...... or work with outlines instead of solid shapes. >.<

Remember a shape does not have to be filled.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked out great! I'm just trying to figure out how to set the scale. Say, I want to drag guidelines to the top and bottom and say that's a certain distance, and it'll be that size when I print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Set up a suitable canvas size with a decent pixel resolution.

Pic an arbitrary point for the lower left corner of the object (Not the canvas, but the illustration), and drag the grid zero point to that location.  It will help to place a could of guides intersection that location.

Right click a ruler, and set the units, (inches if you are Luddite, mm if you are sensible )

Drag out some more guides for the overall width and height, or use New Guide Layout to place them precisely.

Select all the layers of your object, and group them, and Free Transform to fit the guides.

Or way better still, work this way from the outset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines