• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAM Preview not playing properly

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today i tried After Effects op my new game pc.

When i import an new video in After Effects and play it,

only a little part of the video will be cached and the video plays again and again only in the cached area...

Sometimes the video even plays random in slomotion.

I have one really fast pc with 2 big harddrive´s. So i should play it easily.

[Title modified for clarity. — Mod.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody can tell you anything without exact system info or other technical details like exact version of AE, specifications of the video, its storage location, comp settings, preview settings and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.

I have an Nvidia geforce GTX 1070

8 GB Ram

1,3 TB Harddisk memory

i5 6400

Can you now help me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll guess you're brand-new to AE.  You're not ready for it.  You don't have a clue how it works, or how to use it. 

Here's one clue for you: it doesn't work anything like a video editing application.

Unless you're a big fan of frustration and futility, I STRONGLY recommend you spend a lot of quality time here:

After Effects tutorials | Learn how to use After Effects CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have experience with AE, and i know how it works.

But AE doens't work properly.

I have 8 GB ram. must be enough for AE isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 gigs is better.  You're doing a RAM preview... so what do you need?  RAM.

Surely with your vast AE experience you've run into this situation before, haven't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of RAM is what's biting you. If it's possible to get more, your AE experience will be dramatically improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi YswerW,

What kind of footage are you working with?

Thanks!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is caching your video footage to RAM - that's why it's called a RAM Preview. If you have other apps open, they may be using up some of your free RAM, so you may want to close them.

There are other tricks to get it to cache more of your footage. At the bottom of your Viewer window, there are several buttons, etc. One should say Auto or Full/Half/Third/Quarter. This is the resolution that it's caching your footage at. You could try setting it to Auto and see if it caches more footage. I generally set mine to Half or Quarter while working, then put it to Full when I need to see it at full/high quality. At Full it renders every pixel, at Half every 2nd pixel, etc.

So, at Half, you should be able to cache roughly twice as much footage. It will look a bit pixellated, but this is just the preview, not how it will render out. Also, when stepping your resolution down, it will generally cache everything much faster.

You can also set your RAM Preview to only show you every 2nd frame (or customize this to whatever you want via the Previews palette). Just hit Shift + Zero on your numeric keypad (if you have one - the numbers to the right of your keyboard). This will look a bit jerky - these are trade-offs that you have to live with unless you have a crazy-fast machine with tons of RAM. Even then, using these techniques will make you much more efficient with your time.

Hopefully that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just want to montage video clips you should better use Adobe Premiere. Why AE then? In Premiere preview is working much faster without waiting for rendering into RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi YdwerW,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines