• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text box stretches text and this not cool any suggestions? [2017]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the latest upgrade has altered the way a text box/paragraph reacts. When scaling the box it stretches the text within the box and in the past you could resize a paragraph box without this happening. Today the text has to be active or selected in order to resize the box without scaling the text and I find this extra step incredibly annoying! I don't see a need to stretch the text and anyone who has created a font or text would be mortified you should never stretch text it is a design no, no! Please bring back the resizing of a paragraph text box without stretching the font when it is not active.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using? The Type & Typography forum isn't app-specific, so we don't know if you're talking about After Effects, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements, Muse, Illustrator, or any of a dozen others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2017

[Moving to a Photoshop forum - moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When scaling the box

How exactly do you »scale« the Layer?

Could you please post a screenshots taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Character, Options Bar, …) visible to illustrate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested, and I am not seeing it behave any differently from the most recent versions. Are you creating the text by dragging first or by clicking? If you drag first, you should have a frame that can be resized and the text stays proportional. What is happening instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes but you are in an active edit mode where you have selected the "T' from he menu and then adjusted your box. When in select I just want to click on the object and scale the box without it stretching it seems crazy that I have to select the "T" from the tool tray to adjust my box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you have »Show Transform Controls« checked for the Move Tool and inadvertently be transforming the Layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can I find the Show Transform Controls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Move Tool is selected in the Options Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it "Show Transform Controls" is selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you uncheck it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ANSWER:

Select the problematic text box. Under the TYPE menu, select "Convert to Area Type."

You will probably want to select all, then convert all type back to area type at once.

How does this happen? When you start typing, if you click down on the text tool so that you see the text insertion bar, this type will automatically be point type. To avoid this problem, always draw a text box and type within it. You can always resize the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a VERY OLD thread but I had to write. You have taken away a 15+ year headached for me!!! I didn't happen all the time and it only happened when I got files from someone else. I could never quite phrase the question so as to get my  issue accross. THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have taken away a 15+ year headached for me!!!

By @Brian281899333yk3

Fifteen years ago you couldn't convert from point type to paragraph type. You had to cut the text, then either click for point type or drag for area type, then paste.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. Then I was cluess for less time than I thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue,

In the control panel go to the menu option on the top and select "reset character" - this makes all the settings back to default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and I hate hate hate it. I used to be able to simply stretch a box vertically or horizontally without any issue, not it all stretches. It has frustrated me so much I have been using another editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dawn,

When you create text, are you clicking to create Point text or dragging to create Paragraph text? If you create Paragraph text by dragging or converting, you can use the Type tool to resize the frame. The typesize will not change. Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/add-edit-text.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines