Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

modify timing of the animation preset "exchange"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to modify the animation preset called "Exchange", and having some trouble. This preset is found under Animation Presets, Text, Graphical. The preset takes your text and replaces and bounces random characters in a random pattern. The default alternate character is a plus sign but you can change that to anything you like.

Anyway, I'd like to apply the effect so that it starts at a specific point, plays for a second or two, and then stops. The settings have it so that it plays for a few seconds, pauses then plays again, on repeat. I've checked all of the different animation settings in the text layer, but I can't find a way to do this?

I'm a bit new to After Effects and still learning, so this might be something obvious that I'm just missing. Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Many of those text presets are actually using expressions to drive the animation, which is the case here. If you're new to AE, those will likely get scary pretty fast.

Conveniently, this preset came along with a few expression sliders that give you easy control over the effect. In your Effect Controls panel (or by twirling open the layer until you see them), you have sliders that let you keyframe the "Frequency" and "Magnitude."

Tweak until you get what you're after.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the layer in question.  Hit the "uu" key -- that's "u" twice in quick succession.  You'll reveal all the modified properties.  Look for the keyframes.  Get to know what's going on with th keyframes.  Play with them and their values, and maybe make some more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. I meant to add this to my original post, but there aren't any keyframes indicating where the effect starts and stops. The effect is applied to the layer for the entire duration of the composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of those text presets are actually using expressions to drive the animation, which is the case here. If you're new to AE, those will likely get scary pretty fast.

Conveniently, this preset came along with a few expression sliders that give you easy control over the effect. In your Effect Controls panel (or by twirling open the layer until you see them), you have sliders that let you keyframe the "Frequency" and "Magnitude."

Tweak until you get what you're after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, would anyone be able to tell me how to change the default alternate character from a plus sign to an apostrophe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines