• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I see my video moving? My screen is either all gray or permanent freeze frame?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to get a new computer. I got to work on Adobe Premiere Elements almost immediately - both a new project and an old project.

In both cases, I ran into glitches - either the video was pixelated or the background was missing. After working on it, I've got it stuck in an ugly position where the screen is either stuck on black or in permanent freeze-frame. By that, I mean even though I can hear the audio, the picture never moves (unless I click on another image).

[Moderator: moved from non-technical forum Lounge to Premier Elements.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of operating system?

What version of Premiere Elements?

Did you try rendering the timeline?

Do you have any third party plugins?

Is your video driver up to date?

What graphics card and driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Premiere Elements 10

I did not

No

Yes - It's brand new computer

NVIDIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alexd12745804  wrote

Yes - It's brand new computer

NVIDIA

Brand new does not necessarily mean up to date. Many new computers are shipped with old graphics drivers.

What model video card and what version of driver?

You need to see if you have the latest version of the driver from the video card manufacturer's site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked it up. My card is NVIDIA GForce GT 730

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the CPU?

How much RAM?

What is the HDD and how much room is there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Driver version: 21.21.13.7892

CPU: Intel Core I5-6400

8 GB of ram

1 TB with 83 GB left

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're on the lower end of what's needed to edit video, but it should work.  Based on what you've said so far, my guess is that there is a difference between you project settings and your footage. 

Where did the footage come from?  How did you set up the project?  What are the project settings?  Is there a yellow/orange line above the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To whsprague:

I have this problem on several projects - one is HD footage I downloaded for the Make the Cut contest. That was started before my old computer died. However, I'm having the same problem when I started a new project with footage recorded off my camcorder.

Both of these worked just fine on my old computer (which had roughly the same hard drive).

There is no yellow or orange line above the timeline. There's a red one.

I changed nothing when I started these projects so I'm just using the default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alexd12745804  wrote

To whsprague:

I have this problem on several projects - one is HD footage I downloaded for the Make the Cut contest. That was started before my old computer died. However, I'm having the same problem when I started a new project with footage recorded off my camcorder.

Both of these worked just fine on my old computer (which had roughly the same hard drive).

There is no yellow or orange line above the timeline. There's a red one.

I changed nothing when I started these projects so I'm just using the default settings.

The red line shows up to tell you that your video needs to be "preview render" your project.  Do that by pressing the Return Key.  It also means that your video clips may not match your project settings.  The usual way to do that is to examine you primary clips and use that to specify the setting at the start of a project.   Newer versions of Premier Elements has automatic options for establishing the project settings.   

I don't know what the Make the Cut contest is.  If you are mixing footage types from you camcorder to something downloaded, it may be part of the conflict creating the render line. 

Good luck with your project.  It may be difficult.  You are using a version of Premier Elements that has been upgraded 5 times.  It was designed to run on Windows 7.  You are using Windows 10, a newer graphics system and mixed footage.  There may be unsolvable conflicts.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit enter. The red line has now been replaced with a green line. And the video STILL won't play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

347.88 is the latest graphics driver:

Drivers | GeForce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. Had a Windows 7 System crash on a Tower machine which did not recover from backup and had to reinstall from from original discs including Photoshop & Premiere Elements 10 discs. All drivers and other required programs were loaded & checked including hardware & all Windows 7 updates.  It is quite high spec Tower system and worked most satisfactory until the crash for some three years or so.  All works well on recovery except in Premiere Elements, it now has a blank Monitor Panel until I click on it. It then displays the clip at the Cursor position but then playing the film I have sound as the Cusor moves but no picture.  The Timeline and the Poject Panel shows the scenes correctly.  I have loaded film afresh and checked all settings and Rendering has also been checkedInterestingly, I can play this film when in the Organizer and again it plays correctly when using different players outside of Premiere Elements. I have also reinstalled the Adobe programs twice since without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

Video from non-camcorder sources often plays by a different set or rules.

Meantime, can you be more specific on your computer specs? A Windows 7 tower could mean anything. What processor do you have with how much RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GBRXH1963  wrote

I have a similar problem. Had a Windows 7 System crash on a Tower machine which did not recover from backup and had to reinstall from from original discs including Photoshop & Premiere Elements 10 discs. All drivers and other required programs were loaded & checked including hardware & all Windows 7 updates.  It is quite high spec Tower system and worked most satisfactory until the crash for some three years or so.  All works well on recovery except in Premiere Elements, it now has a blank Monitor Panel until I click on it. It then displays the clip at the Cursor position but then playing the film I have sound as the Cusor moves but no picture.  The Timeline and the Poject Panel shows the scenes correctly.  I have loaded film afresh and checked all settings and Rendering has also been checkedInterestingly, I can play this film when in the Organizer and again it plays correctly when using different players outside of Premiere Elements. I have also reinstalled the Adobe programs twice since without success.

My first guess is that you may have a graphics card driver update issue.   Also, Premier Elements 10 is 5 versions old.  There may be an unresolvable conflict.  You've not provided much information for further guesses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system worked fine before the crash and no hardware has been changed since new. The system spec. is Intel Core i7 Processor 3.5 GHz, 16GB DDR3 133Mhz RAM, 3 X 1 TB Hitachi 7200RPM Sata drives, nVidia GTX 550 Ti graphics card running Windows 7 in Cooler Master Tower plus many other ports and additions. All hardware and software is as when built and all software and driver updates have been reinstalled since the crash. As stated before, all works fine with the exception of Premiere Elements where I now have no screen display in the Monitor Panel. I had part completed editing a film without any problems and it was only on reboot to start another session when the crash occurred. It is this same film on the same hardware and software that is now not displaying in the Monitor. As stated earlier the same film plays correctly in the Organizer and with other packages outside Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

Video from non-camcorder sources often plays by a different set or rules.

Did you get your latest graphics card driver update directly from nVidia?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines