• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiply Transparency of Paragraph Shading

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to Multiply Paragraph Shading, or give the illusion of this?

I've tried as well making the tint 80% and selecting 'Overprint'. I have also selected VIEW/OVERPRINT PREVIEW, but that just makes the tint 80% with no transparency.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things:

Would help if you gave a screenshot.

Also have you tried applying a drop shadow effect to both the actual text and the object? If the object only contains Text then this can re-produce an additional multiply effect making the shadow intensity even stronger:

2017-04-05_15-15-50.png

2017-04-05_15-16-50.png

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may only need the effect applied to the text but its worth being aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make clear I'm not trying to apply a drop shadow, I'm talking about Paragraph Shading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok my bad... I have been answering too many posts today...

So to clarify you want to know how to MULTIPLY the effect of paragraph shading correct?

I take it you know about paragraph styles and the paragraph shading options contained within??

2017-04-05_20-50-38.png

Can you show a screenshot of your work and an idea of what it needs to look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tempted to keep rather than delete my useless post about effects and drop shadows as if all else fails this may be another option to create this outcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or are you trying to make the text more opaque? I'm somewhat confused now I read your post again.

Screenshots would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also unclear, Carol.

There is not a multiply blend mode option for paragraph shading, but you can add it to a frame.

InDesign CCss_005.pngInDesign CCss_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you multiply the text or its frame both the shading and the text multiply, which I assume you don't want?

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.46.15 PM.png

But it looks to me like the Paragraph Shading Overprint setting does work as long as you follow the rules of overprinting. Overprint only works with CMYK colors and the color that is overprinting can't contain a percentage of the color below. So here in the top example my shading is set to 100|0|0|0 cyan and it overprints the 100% magenta below. But if I add 1% magenta 100|1|0|0 to the shading color there is no overprint.

I don't think there is a way to multiply the shading and not the text but I haven't used shading that much

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.43.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I would like to just have the shading be transparent, NOT the text. And ideally without having to manually adding a box behind the text as I like the way this could be automated using paragraph styles. Here's a screen shot to give an idea.

I don't really care if it's paragraph shading, rules or some other method, but I'd like the background to be tied into some sort of paragraph or character style or even an object style if possible.

I tried making the grey box 80% and applying overprint views but it just lightens the grey.Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried making the grey box 80% and applying overprint views but it just lightens the grey.

The overprint isn't working because your shade color is a 4-color mix over what looks like a grayscale image. In some cases overprinting acts like a multiply, but they are not the same. It would work if your shading color had no black in the mix. Overprinting is not intuitive and if this is going to a press you'll have to make sure the printer isn't overriding the overprint settings.

Here my overprint color is 82|75|75|0 (no black) and the image below is a grayscale:

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 12.29.32 PM.png

You could also make the background image RGB or 4-color CMYK and use a black only tint for the overprint color:

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 12.31.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rob thanks for all the help and explanation, I just don't think it can be done the way I suggest.

I've taken a screen cap, and yes I can change the transparency of the text box under the Effects Panel (see grey area in screen shot)

But there appears to be no option to do this with paragraph shading (the cyan colour in screen shot) which is a shame. Would be a very helpful option. I also tried this with paragraph rules and that also will not let you make the rule transparent.

I'm going to see if Adobe has any info.

If I come across a solution I'll post here.

Thanks again for the help!Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry wrong screen shotUntitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just a comment!

Why don't you do it with 2 autosized text frames using "Multiply" Fill + "Normal" Text?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right that the image's mode is grayscale? Do you need the multiplied text frame fill?

Without the fill an overprinted 50% cyan should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 5.49.54 PM.png

If you wanted a darker value blue you can add magenta & yellow, but not black:

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 6.02.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-06 at 6.02.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Obi, the new paragraph shading feature is great for running text where you want a color block behind an individual paragraph inside the running text (you don't have to draw out an extra fill block). You wouldn't need it for paragraphs that are all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines