• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting multiple objects in photoshop is difficult when in close proximity

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past you could select multiple objects that were in close proximity now it is not possible it's almost as if when something is selected there is a 20 pixel padding around the object not allowing you to select items that are within close proximity this is driving me crazy and also if you try to select it it flips the rotation icon and now you have to cancel the action in order to try again - WTF this is crazy I work pixel by pixel and this is a nightmare - any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

If your goal is to get better visual feedback on what's selected, there might be a better way to do that. Have you tried choosing View > Show > Layer Edges? It will show a rectangle around any and all selected layers, and when I try it there isn't any kind of extra zone around it. And unlike the transform box, you don't see a rectangle around the total area, it will show a separate rectangle for each object so it's a more specific indicator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain what exactly you are doing, post some screenshots with the pertinent Panels visible to illustrate.

Are you sure the Layers do not have »stray pixels« or are poorly clipped so that there may be near-invisible content within the »20 pixel« area you describe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the More Tool selected and ctrl-alt-shift pressed I can click-select multiple Layers without problem, could you provide your file for testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK you! I wish I had googled this a week ago, when I was so much further away from a nervous breakdown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capoman  wrote

In the past you could select multiple objects that were in close proximity now it is not possible it's almost as if when something is selected there is a 20 pixel padding around the object not allowing you to select items that are within close proximity this is driving me crazy and also if you try to select it it flips the rotation icon and now you have to cancel the action in order to try again - WTF this is crazy I work pixel by pixel and this is a nightmare - any thoughts?

What are you using that add a 20 pixel padding are you feathering what you select  or blurring the selection?

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen capturing does not work the action items that appear when trying to select additional object disappear.  Here is a link to a video where I demonstrate the issues.

Selecting Multiple Images - YouTube

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 9.46.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is »Show Transform Controls« checked for the Move Tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the Show Transform Controls is selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you unchecked it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I uncheck it I can't see what I have selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn’t that what the Layers Panel is for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually a 1000 layers so not the best scenario yes it did work but again not sure what i was selecting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it have any effect on the Selection issue itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a video demonstrating the problem

PS_OBJ_SELECT - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not selecting multiple objects. You are using the move tool option to auto-select layers.  Holding modifier keys like shift and alt changes the way the move tool's options works.  And you will have difficulties when overlapping layer contain a lot of transparency. Clicking on a transparent area in a layer could select layer below it that you do not want to select.  In the case when you want to select multiple layer like to show.  IMO you would be better off un-checking the mover tool  Auto-select options and show transform controls.   Use the Layers Palette to target the first layer then Ctrl Click the other layer in the layers palette you want to target then use Ctrl+T  to transform  all the layers targeted.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack! I am aware of how it works Conrad had some decent suggestions but none of them take me back to when I could select images on top of each other within a pixels difference and now when the smaller is selected the transform sensitivity is to great to select any object that is near it which is totally frustrating. None of the layers use transperency in the video I am showing and as I mentioned using layers is not an option since I have potentially a1000+ pages and 50+ folders per document when rendering multiple scenarios around table based content using Layer Comps  (watch video from link below)

Photoshop Selecting an Object Issues - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that video is very helpful. You don't seem to be doing anything wrong. The "padding" is not in any of the layers themselves; Photoshop extends the area of sensitivity of the transform controls to make it easier to select the transform box or handles.

My question is, do you need the transform controls at all? If you don't, turn them off and you won't have this problem any more. When the Move tool is selected, turn off "Show Transform Controls" in the options bar. That should make Photoshop work the way you want.

If you do want the transform controls on all the time, I don't think there's a way to reduce the sensitivity zone of the transform controls. You'll probably want to leave the transform controls turned off, and for the times you do want to transform selected layers, choose Edit > Free Transform which will temporary show the transform controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad, I like the transform on because it lets me know what I selected in the past the sensitivity of the transform controls were closer to the transform points and now its like a force field around each object this is so frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your goal is to get better visual feedback on what's selected, there might be a better way to do that. Have you tried choosing View > Show > Layer Edges? It will show a rectangle around any and all selected layers, and when I try it there isn't any kind of extra zone around it. And unlike the transform box, you don't see a rectangle around the total area, it will show a separate rectangle for each object so it's a more specific indicator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works! Bingo - thanks Conrad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had t he same issue. i figured out it is now the shift key that selects multiple items with the move tool, no longer the command key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, I have exactly this same problem and it's been driving me freaking bonkers. Thank you for bringing this up and explaining it so well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines