• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Turns RAW/JPG Images Grainy

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to import some RAW stills from a Canon 5D into AE CC to compile a time lapse, and no matter what I do, rendering out the footage leaves it much grainier than it originally was. I've messed with bit depth, different export settings, etc, but it seems like AE is just adding some sort of sharpening filter on the stills that brings out or actually creates new grain. I've also tried converting these RAWs to JPG which yields the same issue.

Image in timeline:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 10.08.51 PM.png

Image upon export:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 10.07.24 PM.png

It's harder to tell here than when actually opening up the video file, but there is definitely something being added on during the render. As seen above, the first image looks just like the original still when in the timeline, but gets completely changed in the export.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are your render settings? show us in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like resizing when exporting is solving the problem. Here's a screenshot of my UI and Export settings that yield grain in the export.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 12.35.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 12.35.35 PM.png

The viewer's at full resolution, which doesn't seem to affect it. The main thing seems to be that when I export to Prores at original size or at 4K the grain is there, but when I resize it to a width of 1080, and export to Prores or even H.264 it looks way better.

I'm not using a high res monitor so maybe that's part of it. Interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you export, do you use Animation or Prores?

also, how are you viewing the result? import the footage back to Ae - this should be the visual test if there is any difference.

one case worth mentioning: I once had a bug in my custom render settings that made the video softer looking (also CC2017) the fix was to trash my custom render settings and make a new template

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Prores to export. I've been looking at the video results in quicktime, but I did import the video file back into AE and the grain is still there. It seems like resizing is fixing it. Still seems like some sort of bug though like you're saying. I will definitely try deleting the custom render settings and starting fresh. Thanks a bunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi arlightsey,

Please return and let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines