• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom folder structure gone

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my photos grouped by year in Lightroom 6.5, and then by project.  However, when I click on 2015 all my photos are there, but they are not in their folders. They are pretty much in order of how they were in folders before. The folders are gone but not the photos. How do I get them back into folders so I can find them when I am looking for a particular photo?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right-clicking on any one of the images and select 'Got to Folder In Library.' This should take you to the folder and expand the folder tree in the left panel. You can also click on the arrow next to the top level 2015 folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  However, I right clicked on a photo and then on "Go to folder in library" and nothing happened.

When I click on the arrow beside my 2015 folder it does not have a drop down menu. The arrow itself has a dotted appearance. There are over 2,000 photos in my 2015 folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-Click on the 2015 folder and select 'Show in Explorer/Finder.' Do you see any subfolders or are all 2,000 image files in the single 2015 main folder? If no subfolders are present please explain in detail how you imported, moved, or otherwise arranged your 2015 image files into month subfolders. Also did you at any time actually confirm from inside LR, Explorer, or Finder that the files were actually in subfolders under the top-level 2015 main older?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your time. I opened in Finder.  The folders are still there, but they are all empty.  The photos are in alphabetical order along with the empty folders. They were inside the correct folders at one time.  I am not sure what I did to cause this to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dancnbutterfly  wrote

They were inside the correct folders at one time.  I am not sure what I did to cause this to happen.

The only way to determine what happened is for you to provide full details on the Import module settings used to get the files inside LR and any file or folder renaming or moving of image files that you performed both inside or outside (i.e. Finder) LR. The more details the better!

You may have had Library menu item 'Show Photos in Subfolders' checked and were attempting to move some files, but had ALL files selected. If they were dragged and dropped to the top-level 2015 folder all of the files would be moved out of their subfolders. There are numerous other possibilities, which only you can reveal with the requested details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope your having a "peachy" day!

Thank you again for your time.

I right clicked on the 2015 folder and opened in Finder.  I can manually put the photos back into the folders.  How can I get Lightroom to recognize that they are back int the folders.  Synchronize Fodler?

Thanks,

~Jann *~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your 2015 Lightroom folder also have a question mark on it? If so, you need to re-establish the link to the folder within Lightroom. Right click (or Control click) on the 2015 folder and choose Find Missing Folder, select the correct location in the dialog and then Choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope your having a "peachy" day!

Thanks again for your response. 

No, there is no question mark on the 2015 folder.  When I click on the 2015 folder, I can see all of the photos. However, there are no folders, just all of the photos. 

When I look at the photos by right clicking on 2015 and use "show in Finder" as you suggested earlier, the photos are in their folders.

~Jann *~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the Library module in Grid view with the 2015 folder selected. Also post a 2nd screenshot of the 2015 folder showing the subfolders in Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to ask, because everything should be working properly if you can see the 2015 folder in Lightroom. You have clicked on the expansion arrow next to the 2015 folder to expand the contents? If the folder is collapsed, you wont see any subfolders in Lightroom. If they are visible in the Finder, then they should be visible in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The arrow beside the 2015 folder is dotted. I cannot expand it because there are no subfolders....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last option that I can think of is to Synchronize the 2015 folder in Lightroom. Right click on the 2015 folder and choose Synchronize Folder.

If that doesn't work, then try making a new temporary Catalog, call it Test, and import the 2015 folder into it. Do the the sub-folders appear now in the new catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brad+Polt-Jones  wrote

The last option that I can think of is to Synchronize the 2015 folder in Lightroom. Right click on the 2015 folder and choose Synchronize Folder.

Just keep in mind that if you use Synchronize folder the image files in the subfolders will be re-imported into LR and you will lose all editing applied to the files. Do the current image files showing in the main 2015 folder have edits, keywords, collections, rating, etc. visible inside LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at.jpgScreen Shot 2017-04-13.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dancnbutterfly  wrote

I right clicked on the 2015 folder and opened in Finder.  I can manually put the photos back into the folders.  How can I get Lightroom to recognize that they are back int the folders.  Synchronize Fodler?

As

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines