• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my images folder not viewable from within the RoboHelp "Project Manager" tab?

Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can I not see my images folder (IMAGES_ web) when viewing the folders in the Project Manager tab?

zz_temp_projectManagerTab.jpg

Might it be because I probably created the IMAGES_web folder when I was in Windows Explorer?

zz_temp_Images_webFolder.jpg

Is there a way to make the IMAGES_web folder viewable in the "PRoject Manager" tab in the RoboHelp project?

(I'm using RoboHelp 2015. This is a project that I opened from RoboHelp 8 and have been adding, updating and deleting the contents of project -- htm files, image files, etc. in this recent version -- 2015 -- of RoboHelp)

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Hi there,

if I remember right, it worked for me this way: I also created an images folder for my RH project in Windows Explorer. Then I created a new folder within RH with the same name as my images folder in Windows Explorer. Then, automatically all images used in my RH topics were also displayed within this folder in RH. However, images in my Windows folder that are not used in any topic will not be displayed.

Right now, I haven't the time to test this again and verify, but I think this is how i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You cannot make edits using Windows Explorer outside of RoboHelp. Well, I mean you clearly CAN, but in order for RoboHelp to understand you want a folder added that will be part of the project, you need to create the folder from inside RoboHelp.

I'd recommend renaming the folder in Windows Explorer, then create the folder using the desired file name in RoboHelp. Then from inside RoboHelp, add the images you want to be in the project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick, for your insights. However, I'm wondering whether I'm too far into development to create a new images folder in RoboHelp and import the images from my WindowsExplorer-created folder. This is why: There are about 1,330 images in my WindowsExplorer-created folder (IMAGES_web), and those images have already been added to many htm files (topics) in the project. (I've been working on updating this RoboHelp project for over a year, so you can image the volume...)

So (with my limited knowledge of RoboHelp, but imaging how RoboHelp works) I'm concerned that if all of those images were moved to a different folder (i.e., a folder added to the RoboHelp Project Manager tab) that the htm files may no longer display the appropriate image as the path would have changed and that I may have to re-insert those 1330 images.

Could you please help me understand what is possible and what may mess things up...  Perhaps it may be best to leave the images in the WindowsExplorer-created folder in this situation... ?

This project requires a lot more topics (with their related images) to be added in a tight time frame, so I don't have time to do a lot of re-work in the RoboHelp project.Thanks again!

Racing to the Finish line,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised you haven't seen issues where RoboHelp is squawking about things being mismatched and folders not existing and all. Then again, sometimes things like that have a check box one can click that says something to the effect of "don't nag me again" or something like that. So perhaps you enabled that option a while back.

I'd make a backup copy of your project and experiment to be certain. The trick is getting that folder to be recognized by RoboHelp.

My thought is that the topics are already correctly referencing the folder, right? I'm wondering if RoboHelp will just create the folder for you. So I'd try the following steps using a backup copy.

Close the project.

Make a backup copy. Click here for a video if you are unfamiliar with this process

In the backup location, use Windows Explorer and simply rename the folder full of images to something different.

Open the project. (at this point, RoboHelp may very well create that folder for you). So after opening the project, see if the folder now appears in RoboHelp. If that happens, you may see that there are all manner of red X's indicating missing images. Don't be alarmed!

Close the project in RoboHelp.

Clobber the CPD file. Click here for a video if you are unfamiliar with this process

Copy all the images from the folder where they exist to the new folder that RoboHelp likely created for you.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Actually, RoboHelp hasn't squawked yet: it just keeps humming happily along -- it's just that it doesn't show the IMAGES_web folder anywhere in the Project Manager pod. I may wait to  delete the CPD file. I may try Karen's suggestion first.

Regarding Peter's suggestion -- (thanks) -- I just toggled the display, and regarding Rick's suggestion, yes, I clicked the plus symbol to expand folders in both Project Manager views, but, alas, I still couldn't find an IMAGES_web folder.

zz_temp_ProjectMgr_toggled.jpg

Karen, please refer to Peter's posting. Was the reason that you created a new folder in the Project Manager because of a "disappearing problem" bug, as he suggests, or was it because you had originally created the folder in Windows Explorer?

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there images in that folder that are used in topics?

If not I think the options include Show Empty Folders. Is that selected?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are about 1300 images the IMAGES_web folder are used in the topics (htm files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I actually created the images folder in Windows Explorer; I didn't encounter any bug (or at least have not been aware of it).I'm using RH 2015. I was also able to create a really small test project in the meantime with one topic and two images. This is what I did:

Create new project with RH. Go to the storage location in Windows Explorer, create an images folder there and put the image-file in it. Open the project in RH, open the topic, inclucde the image via Paste - Image - select the image in the folder. Click save, now the image is included and the folder containing it is shown in the project manager. The not used image is not included in the folder shown in RH.

Best regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Karin! I also experimented with a little test project. And it DOES appear that when in the RoboHelp Project Manager, I create a folder with the same name as the folder that I created in Window Explorer, that RoboHelp inserts any of those images that it finds in topics to the folder in the Project Manager. Here's a picture of what I did:

ImageFolder_ExplorerToRobo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again. A couple of final notes. This method of getting my images folder to show up in the Project Manager also worked in my huge project.

And for anyone perusing this discussion, we are not recommending that a RoboHelp developer add a folder to Windows Explorer first (I just did that in my ignorance, which is why I needed this "recovery" that Karin suggested). The better way, of course, would be to "create a new folder" within the RoboHelp Project Manager to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

if I remember right, it worked for me this way: I also created an images folder for my RH project in Windows Explorer. Then I created a new folder within RH with the same name as my images folder in Windows Explorer. Then, automatically all images used in my RH topics were also displayed within this folder in RH. However, images in my Windows folder that are not used in any topic will not be displayed.

Right now, I haven't the time to test this again and verify, but I think this is how it worked for me. If you like, just give it a try.

Best regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karin is referring to a bug I have encountered in older versions where if a folder contained only images, then it would sometimes disappear and the method Karin describes would bring it back.

If that is not the problem, then what view are you using in Project Manager. The icon to the left of the folder in your image toggles the view. One way shows the images in the folders they are really in, the same as if you look in File Explorer. The other way shows a pseudo Images folder with all the real folders, the same as in Project Manager when you expand the Project Files.

I think you are using the first option so are you not seeing the images in any folder?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It occurs to me here that you may be expecting to see your IMAGES_web folder in the root level here alongside the other folders.

Have you tried simply clicking the plus symbol to expand the Project Files folder and when you do that, is it not listed "inside" that folder?

If so, you are golden. But if not, that's when you would need to follow the steps I outlined.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp