Exit

Illustrator collides with InDesign, InDesign frozen on the grabber tool

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe product: Illustrator, InDesign CS6

on a MacBook Pro, late 2011 / Sierra 10.12.3

I'm not sure whether my post belongs to the InDesign or Illustrator threads. Anyhow, I'll appreciate your help!

After uninstalling and reinstalling a whole CS6 package a couple of months ago (due to a recurring problem - shutting for no reason), it seems like my Illustrator and InDesign collide disabling me from using two programs at the same time.

What happens: I can use InDesign alone, for however long I want. However, if I open Illustrator in the background (and work switching between programs) and then go back to InDesign, it is usually (sometimes it happens later than other times) frozen on a grabber tool. I cannot switch to any other tool and if I press (say to create a text frame) the grabber tool starts "grabbing" - it cannot actually grab anything, so the result is I cannot do anything. The only way around this is to restart my computer. Restarting the program only doesn't work.

As most of the time I work simultaneously in Illustrator and InDesign, this bug is literally costing me time.

Is there any way around this problem other than uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe again? I know it is usually the answer to most of the problems here, but I feel super discouraged after being faced with new problems and bugs every time I reinstall the products It takes ages and seeing new bugs coming up is very frustrating. A conspiracy theorist in me is thinking it's a mean way of getting people who still use old CS's to switch to CC.

Thanks for any tips!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Just to clarify Doug's correct answer—Apple is in charge of the Mac operating system, Adobe is in charge of InDesign and Illustrator. The two companies release upgrades independently of each other. Apple has continued to upgrade their operating system. CS6 reached end of life a few years ago—meaning Adobe will no longer update CS6, and will instead direct their focus to make sure that the newer releases work on the newest operating systems.

If you don't want to upgrade to CC, consider returning t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the boilerplate answer is that CS6 isn't strictly compatible with Sierra. a solution might rest on other CS6 and sierra users having experienced and resolved something similar, but I haven't seen this myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Do you have any idea if Adobe plans to update Sierra so that it is compatible with CS6? Or they're just leaving all of the "old" customers with an essentially useless product, forcing them to unwillingly switch to CC? I'm so disappointed. And of course, as a CS6 user I'm not welcome to call them with my question. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe aren't responsible for Sierra, but no, CS6 will never receive any more updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. Any way, not cool.

IF anyone else out there faced this bug before, I look forward to hearing your experience. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify Doug's correct answer—Apple is in charge of the Mac operating system, Adobe is in charge of InDesign and Illustrator. The two companies release upgrades independently of each other. Apple has continued to upgrade their operating system. CS6 reached end of life a few years ago—meaning Adobe will no longer update CS6, and will instead direct their focus to make sure that the newer releases work on the newest operating systems.

If you don't want to upgrade to CC, consider returning to an operating system that CS6 is supported on.

Adobe Creative Suite 6 system requirements

• Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7. Adobe Creative Suite 5, CS5.5, and CS6 applications support Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8) when installed on Intel-based systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines