Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't differentiate imported file status: success/fail

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am using app.project.importFiles method to import file. The issue is, it also returns true for the file which failed to import due to any reason e.g. File format not supported / missing audio or video stream. We can't know if the file fails to import. Is this a bug in the premiere pro API? Is there any workaround to check for the import failed scenario?

Suggestion: app.project.importFiles should return false in this case.

Premiere Pro version: 11.0.1

Extension Type: Panel

Thanks & Regards,
Meet Tank

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

I'm not sure what I was right about; I meant to point out that returning the import status of N files, via 1 return code, could never provide adequate information.

importFiles() is the correct call, in either case.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

importFiles() takes an array of file paths; what should it return if 5 of 6 imports were successful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bruce. Yes, you are right. We have a requirement to import files one by one and display import status of each file so we are using app.project.importFiles method to import a single file. Is there any other method available which imports one file at a time and return import status?

Thanks,

Meet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what I was right about; I meant to point out that returning the import status of N files, via 1 return code, could never provide adequate information.

importFiles() is the correct call, in either case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that importFiles() takes an array of file paths. But as I said we want to import one file at a time to fetch import status of the file to check whether that file is imported or not.

e.g.

• File1 imported successfully
  • File2 couldn't be imported due to xxx reason.

As per the current implementation of importFiles(), this looks not possible.

Can we have a method called importFile() which takes a string of file path and also return import status?

Thanks,

Meet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meett9325076  wrote

Can we have a method called importFile() which takes a string of file path and also return import status?

I'll note the request, but it's the first such request I've heard; you'll need a few more developers to request such behavior, to move such work up in our API backlog...

What would such behavior 'buy' you?

Have you run into many cases where you've used importFiles(), but the import silently fails? I wonder why this has never been reported as a problem, by >250 PPro panel developers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have faced two such failed cases, but it could more:

• File format not supported
  • Missing audio or video stream

Thanks,
Meet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how your proposed new function would help, in either case. PPro would still dutifully try to import those files, and report the problem to the user, unless you've told importFiles() to silence those warnings.

If you really need to double-check that each import happened, today, you could set the target bin to be /TempImportBin (or whatever) before import, then after calling importFiles(), process each projectItem within /TempImportBin into a new bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, PPro is giving error message to the user for any failed import, but we also want to display the status of the imported file in the extension panel that's why we need status of each file.

"After calling importFiles(), process each projectItem within /TempImportBin into a new bin"

In our case we would have to iterate through projectItem each time after calling importFiles () which looks very indecent as we are displaying file status in the panel immediately after importing a file.

I would appreciate if you could accommodate this change in importFiles() by returning json which has status of each file or provide a new method - importFile() which would return true/false.

Thanks,

Meet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JSON = That sounds like JavaScript, not ExtendScript...

Feature requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines