Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get the property on frame

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to Indesign 2017.0. I have noted this strange thing in my document. When i select a frame i see this tiny oval in a small box which on click shows some properties that are applied to contents in frame. The issue is, i see this oval in small box in only some frames. In others, I do not see. The only solution is to select the contents and then see the oval in small box and apply property.

Please tell me how to get this oval on all frames as it is very helpful.

I am on Mac Os 10.12 and using InDesign since last 3 years.

Thanks for any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Hi,

Do correct me if I am wrong but the "oval" you mention is the one i have shown below?

Picture1.png

This oval is seen only when your frame is Non Threaded. To check if a frame is threaded or not do the following:

1. Goto view menu

2. From extras enable "Show text threads"

If it is threaded(linked) to another frame it is called a threaded text frame.

You are not seeing the "oval" most likely because it is a threaded text frame. You can still apply all the properties that are shown on clicking the oval from the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenType fonts can include a wide variety of typographic features. The oval is the OpenType adornment, and clicking it opens a contextual menu showing a list of applicable OpenType attributes. If you are not using OpenType fonts in that text frame you will get this message:

InDesign CCss_001.png

You can see the type of font you are using by opening up the the Font list in the control panel. O=OpenType, TT is TrueType and won't offer OpenType options.

InDesign CCss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. But i do not see the OpenType adornment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do correct me if I am wrong but the "oval" you mention is the one i have shown below?

Picture1.png

This oval is seen only when your frame is Non Threaded. To check if a frame is threaded or not do the following:

1. Goto view menu

2. From extras enable "Show text threads"

If it is threaded(linked) to another frame it is called a threaded text frame.

You are not seeing the "oval" most likely because it is a threaded text frame. You can still apply all the properties that are shown on clicking the oval from the character panel menu (OpenType properties)

OR

You can select the entire text by multiple click and then apply the property that are shown on clicking the oval. The results are same. The "oval" appears on text selection appears in all scenarios.

Do let me know if this is the scenario.

Also, as BarbBinder​ showed, are you seeing that message on clicking on "oval" or you dont see the "oval" at all?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Aman.

Can there be any way i can see the OpenType adornment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

At present with the latest release CC 2017.1 you cannot see the adornment on threaded frames.

But you can submit a feature request at Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Do mention OpenType in your feature title.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I will do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines