• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CS4 32bit no longer imports from Epson scanner

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three weeks ago my PS CS4 32bit stopped importing images from my EPSON 4490.  I posted on PS General Discussion with no response and updated the question one week ago.

I have reinstalled CS4 32bit twice without uninstalling. I did talk to an Adobe tech but he said that he was not trained in CS support, though he did give me general suggestions such as make sure the scanner driver is up-to-date.  I downloaded CS6 which provides 32bit and 64bit PS and Bridge.  If I wanted to purchase, I was unable to find out the price.  I did the basic work I had been doing with CS4: scan via 32bit, store in Bridge, File Info via 32bit, and clean and adjust in 32bit.  (I only had used 64bit when I want to  use Picture Package.  I could not import from the scanner.)   Anyway, I tried to use CS6 32bit for those same basic tasks and it also did not work importing from the scanner and would freeze.

My "work-around" in CS4 became pull-up Bridge and PS 64bit, scan from the Epson into Bridge, then individually grab and move the image into PS, complete File Info, do any cleaning and adjusting, and then "Save As" into Bridge for storage.

I do have to say that in the few times I used CS6. I like the improved File Info where I can "Cut and Paste" if needed.  However, I saw no major improvements in CS6 over CS4 sufficient to buy CS6 or even the Cloud version.  I am a hobbyist and not a professional and I just used CS4 or whatever version just to clean, adjust and store my old images.  Presently, I work on 20 to 30 images for 2 hours a night.

Anyway, if I could get PS CS4 32bit working, it would save me a little time per image and increase production.  I only have couple thousand transperancies to do.  Then I start a few more thousand negatives.

Thanks,  Any help is appreciated.

Papa Greg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion.

Papa Greg to confirm you do not receive any installation errors when installing Photoshop CS4?  Instead you are unable import your images from your scanner is that correct?

Finally, what version of Windows do you have Photoshop CS4, and the Epson 4490, installed on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, thank you for the response.

But, I received an email from "Mark Cossey.Adobe" without photo or Adobe logo from " Mark Cossey.Adobe [forums_noreply@adobe.com]".  The text was:

"Hi!  We Sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. For better understanding
  of the issue provide us your Skype ID and Telephone Number so our one of the
  support person will contact you!   Note:-For reply go to adobe forums Inbox and reply for the same Message!   Or    Note:-For reply go to Your E-mail Account Inbox and reply on the same Email!
  Thanks & Regards   Help Desk

Continue the conversation by replying to
    this email, or going
    to the direct message on Adobe Community

This email was sent by
  Adobe Community because you are a registered user.   You may unsubscribe
  instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Is he legitimate?

Meanwhile, back to my question.  I do not recall error messages during installation years ago or during the recent re-installation.  But, I did receive error messages regarding TWAIN when I tried to use the scanner.  Understand, PS CS4 32bit worked fine until it suddenly didn't.

The problem had to do with using the "Import" command with PS CS4 32bit (64bit has no "Import" command) to have those images scanned with the Epson 4490 to move into PS. 

A few months back, I installed Win 10 replacing Win 7

Thanks, your help

Papa Greg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a Skype SCAMMER trying to steal your Adobe ID... I have reported to Forum Administrator

For anyone else reading this... Adobe DOES NOT USE SKYPE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An idea that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10... works for some, not for others

-RIGHT click the program icon or EXE and select a compatibility mode in the pop up option window

-or Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 to assign FULL Windows permissions may help... says Encore, but sometimes required for ALL Adobe programs (this is NOT the same as using an Administrator account)

-or more on permissions https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2293598

NOTE - Win10 anniversary update version 1607 has caused MAJOR problems with old programs, so the above may not work

-Notice http://www.computerworld.com/article/3157369/windows-pcs/new-windows-10-build-is-a-monster-update.ht...

Every time Microsoft issues a Win10 update, there is the risk that an old program that HAS been working after the initial Win10 upgrade will STOP working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response so quickly.  I will work on your suggestions as soon as I can.  Papa Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff and John, I appreciate the suggestions you gave.

I tried the compatibility action (I think) and the administrator action but PS CS4 32bit still froze after hitting "Import" and the Epson pop-up popped up.  However, I received two Epson? or Windows? error messages also came up (had in earlier attempts but I did not know what they meant or how to deal with them. And, I forgot them when I wrote the earlier postings.)

"EpsonScan cannot be started.  Please us Troubleshooting Assistant to solve the problem  Do you want to open the Troubleshooting Assistant?"  I tried this a few times earlier but nothing improved.

"Could not open the TWAIN source.  Make sure there is a valid source for your scans in the TWAIN directory found in the Windows directory."  I just checked again but still could not figure out whether there was anything useful in the TWAIN directory,  This is getting complicated!!

Madison, thanks for zapping the bad guy for me and for everyone else.

Papa Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to respond to Jeff and John other points.  The other thread on permissions did not come up when I hit the link "Does Not Exist".  The Computerworld.com article was a does of reality.  After I upgraded to Windows 10, I had a funny feeling that I should have stayed with Windows 7.  Well that's progress for you.

Thanks,

Papa Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as an FYI- I've deactivated this Skype Scammer.

Thanks!

-Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to test the compatibility a different way,  directly through Control Panel, seeing if changing compatibility from Windows 10 to Windows 7.  The result was "Incompatible program".  Horse puckey.

Pap Greg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Win10 and use the built in scanner with my Canon multi-function

It's been awhile, but I think it is located in Control Panel in the Printers section

I got to that within the "god mode" icon that I created in Win8 before upgrading to Win10 so I'm not 100% sure this will work in Win10

God Mode for Win7 and Win8

Create a new folder on your Win 7 desktop.

Copy and paste this name to the folder:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon,

There was a problem tried to reply on the Forum string so I responded with this email.

I appreciate the time and effort you and your associates have put in to try to solve this mystery.

I went into Win10 "Devised and Printers" and found the scanner and did a "troubleshoot". It "fixed" whatever issue it found..

I brought up PS cs4 32bit and it froze again.

I tried to paste the "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" line in and on the New Folder but it did not work. The Paste command would not come up after I copied the line.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Papa Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon,

I figured out why I could not send this to you on the Forum String.  I was sending it to myself!!!!

There was a problem tried to reply on the Forum string so I responded with this email.

I appreciate the time and effort you and your associates have put in to try to solve this mystery.

I went into Win10 "Devised and Printers" and found the scanner and did a "troubleshoot".  It "fixed" whatever issue it
found..  I brought up PS cs4 32bit and it froze again.

I tried to paste the "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"  line in and on the New Folder but it did not work.  The Paste command would not come up after I copied the line. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Papa Greg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good Folks,

I wanted to double check whether I had updated the TWAIN driver for the Epson scanner.  I went from the TWAIN website to the Epson website/.  I downloaded the update (again) and PSCS4 32bit still froze up.  I hit the  scanner icon and the Epson pop-up popped up and then the scanner choice popped up and I selected Perfection 4490.  Then, no further action by PS CS4 32bit.  I could only get out of PS by using Task Manager and returned to the desktop.

Papa Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines