• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epub 2.0 versus 3.0

Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can somebody give me a rundown of the pros and cons for each option or point me to a discussion? Thanks!

~Valerie

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

This is what Wikipedia states: EPUB 2.0 was approved in October 2007, with a maintenance update (2.0.1) approved in September 2010.[4] The EPUB 3.0 specification became effective in October 2011, superseded by a minor maintenance update (3.0.1) in June 2014.[5] New major features include support for precise layout or specialized formatting (Fixed Layout Documents), such as for comic books,[6] and MathML support. The current version of EPUB is 3.1, effective January 5, 2017.[7] The (text of) form

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what Wikipedia states: EPUB 2.0 was approved in October 2007, with a maintenance update (2.0.1) approved in September 2010.[4] The EPUB 3.0 specification became effective in October 2011, superseded by a minor maintenance update (3.0.1) in June 2014.[5] New major features include support for precise layout or specialized formatting (Fixed Layout Documents), such as for comic books,[6] and MathML support. The current version of EPUB is 3.1, effective January 5, 2017.[7] The (text of) format specification underwent reorganization[8] and clean-up; format supports remotely-hosted resources and new font formats (WOFF 2.0 and SFNT)[9] and uses more pure HTML and CSS.[10]

Basically it's recommended that you export your ePubs to version 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Is there any downside, such as incompatibility with older devices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, it's more likely that newer devices haven't implemented the features that could be available via 3.0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's helpful to know. Especially since it will allow me to feel less guilty about being unable to wield those features! I am definitely flying by the seat of my pants on this stuff, having gleaned from YouTube just enough to squeak by. If you've got any recommendations for learning it better, I'd sure love to hear 'em!

~Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of good courses on lynda.com.

This link is good for 30-day trial: www.lynda.com/trial/boblevine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I hadn't checked Lynda because $$$, but a 30-day trial makes it more appealing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm having issues with both 2.0.1 and 3.0...

2.0.1 preserves the fonts but reverses the page order... (attch 01)

w 2.0.1.jpg

3.0 gets the page order correct but doesn't acknowledge the font choices... (attch 02)

w 3.0.jpg

I realize there are other issues with the pages, but the para and font styles are in place and correct.

I'm using InDesign 2018 in Windows 10 and Adobe Digital Editions for viewing.

The last ePub I made was with ID 2017 using 2.0.1 as recommended by Anne-Marie Concepcion at Lynda.com and InDesignSecrets.com and did not experience the page reversal issue.

I did find the page reversal issue addressed here Inverted pages (left-right) while viewing EPUB in Adobe Digital Editions but it didn't mention version #s. It's pretty technical and I haven't followed up on it yet.

Any insights are very welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sure AM would recommend you use ePub 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! You're absolutely right, Derek... AM does recommend 3.0. My bad. I'm pretty new at this and it's a lot to keep track of, but all kindness and wisdom is appreciated

I am, tho, having trouble with 3.0... I'm using Adobe Digital Editions and it's not preserving certain fonts - specifically Impact -  while preserving others... It also isn't recognizing my page break characters...

I'm working from within the package so all the fonts are there... Could it be if the production designer was using a different version of InDesign? I'm using 2018...

Would you recommend a substitute for Impact?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming you’re creating a Reflowable text ePub, I wouldn’t be too religious about fonts, as the ePub user can change them anyway. You need a separate licence for fonts used in epubs - all the fonts supplied via Typekit are licensed for use in ePubs, other fonts you’ll have to pay the foundry separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines