• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

stroke jaggies

Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it that my stroke comes out with the "jaggies" in Photoshop?  Is there any way to prevent this?

Using CC 2015.5 with Windows 7.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anti alias stays on almost all of the time.  I did some experimenting and found that just some of the images are getting jaggies, and some are okay.  Sometimes it's so bad I'd rather just duplicate and make the lower layer a bit larger for my outline.

Since only some of the images are doing this, I believe it may be the artist (Meaning me. ) is not drawing a smooth line.  This is the only example I can find tonight, but if I run into it again I will come back and re post.

This is the kind of stroke I am talking about.  The one in the layer styles.

ps33.jpgps34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image size in pixels?  I mean the size of the heart, and not the entire canvas.

Have you resized either the image of the heart?

Check your preferences and see what your Preferences, and see what Image Interpolation is set to.  If Nearest Neighbour like below, set it so something else.

Select your heart layer, and initiate Free Transform (Ctrl t).  If Interpolation is set to Nearest Neighbour, change it.

Hmmm....  I am looking at the screen shot above, and suspect I have sussed what is going on.  Did you draw the heart freehand and fill it?  And if yes, did you use the Pencil?  If yes, make that the last time you EVER use the pencil in Photoshop.  Use a fully hard brush.

Two freehand hearts, the inner one done with the pencil, and outer with a hard brush. At smaller sizes it would be even more apparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will check out this thing about the preferences.  The heart was done with the regular ellipse tool.

Last night I discovered some jaggies on a circle that I was making.  It looked terrible but when I zoomed in to it, the jaggies went away.  I am going to experiment one more time and see what happens.

BTW the Image Interpolation was set to bicubic automatic when I looked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did this tonight.  I see that you can't vary away from the original ellipse tool if you are using a stroke.  I used "liquefy"  on the neck of the duck and you see what it did to the lines.

ccps5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 Questions for you to have checked:
1) Are you sure you're not looking at it way zoomed in? In other words, have you tried ensuring you're seeing your stroke at 100%?
2) Do you have "Antialiasing" checked on in the control bar?

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S_Gans  wrote

2 Questions for you to have checked:
1) Are you sure you're not looking at it way zoomed in? In other words, have you tried ensuring you're seeing your stroke at 100%?
2) Do you have "Antialiasing" checked on in the control bar?

The zoom ratio would be my first thought as well, but — at a stretch — it could be brush spacing and not jaggies that the OP is seeing.  This would only be apparent with other than round brush presets.  Exaggerating to make a point, this was done with a square brush at the default 25% spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thought to add to the above.

Are you stroking the path with a brush (which even at the hard setting will have anti-alias applied to soften the curves) or with the pencil tool (which will have no anti-aliasing) . See below same path stroked with a hard round brush then with pencil.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good point, and a likely cause of the problem.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines