Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Red+Blue dots in dark areas?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

So I use my DJI Mavic Pro to get aerial photos and I took this photo right before sunrise. The drone stores the same photo (i believe lower resolution) onto my phone & on the microSD. When I view it on my phone, I do not see any red or blue dots; only when its in LR CC the red & blue dots become visible--I also used update LR CC on 4/8/17. I asked around in the DJI drone community+forums and it appears it is NOT associated with the drone (I flew my drone a few hours after & no dots appeared; this is the first time I've seen this on LR CC while editting drone shots), and some people told me to ask around in the LR community.

-Highlight+Shadow Clipping is OFF

-Dots are still visible after exporting is from DNG >> JPEG

#1 Slightly editted to emphasize how many dots there are; DNG file

#2 3:1 of the bottom L corner

#3 Original from my PHONE (cached from drone); no dots present

#4 Another shot from my drone; dots still visible but less severe; DNG file

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

This appears to be a common problem with DJI raws. For example: DJI Mavic DNG import to Lighroom with pink noise, view correctly in windows | Photoshop Family Customer Community .  See that topic for a DJI utility called "DNG Cleaner" that apparently works for some people.  If you Google "DNG Cleaner", you'll see lots of references to it (and the symptoms it tries to fix).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does look a lot like a clipping warning but indeed you have the warnings and the soft proof turned off so that can't be it. Can you share a dng file somewhere to test and analyze what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to upload the file but I'll attach a Google Drive link so you can download it! The image appears really dark, but the dots are still visible. Once you increase the exposure/shadows, you'll really see all of them.

Please let me know if you aren't able to download the DNG. Thanks!

DJI_0309.dng - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like excessive color noise, often found in the shadow areas of images captured with a high ISO. Did you try using noise reduction to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried LR CC's noise reduction sliders, and ya didn't really help with the dots. The drone automatically set the ISO fo 168, so based on that value it doesn't seem like excessive noise/grain. If you look at #2 (or download the DNG posted above), the dots do not look like grain, more like pixels or something to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at the image. It does look like pixel noise. I've never seen noise this bad though. Luminance and color noise reduction won't even touch it. I do think it is a limitation of the camera sensor though. I'm guessing you will see this in other images if they are way under exposed and dark like this one. Have you tested a variety of lighting situations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached another DNG shot that was taken shortly BEFORE the one I posted above, and you can see the noise BUT NO red+blue dots.

DJI_0302.dng - Google Drive

Also on my original post, do you know why the red+blue dots arent shown on my phone & tablet (they are cached in these devices)?

I attached the DJI Mavic drone's camera specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exposure on this image is significantly better than the first one which is way under exposed. I'm wondering if that is the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is true, I was wondering why their exposure settings aren't that different tho.

DJI_0302.dng - Google Drive (ISO 217, 1/15s) - NO red/bleu dots, just normal noise

DJI_0309.dng - Google Drive (ISO 168, 1/30s) - Red/blue dots visible

Thanks Theresa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the red dots in every raw converter. Even those on my phone of tablet. Here for example is your DNG file opened in snapseed on my iPad so a non-Adobe raw converter. Note that many apps on your phone will show you a jpeg preview and not the raw file so it can hide whether these things are present. I adjusted with +3 EV to clearly show the red dots but you see them clearly in the not corrected image too:

File Apr 10, 2 40 52 PM.png

That this image is so dark is quite strange as the exposure between your two images is not so different. The underexposed image is 1/30s at f2.2 and ISO168 while the normally exposed image is 1/15, f2.2 and ISO217. There should not be this much difference between the two if they were taken close together. Something with the sensor I am pretty sure or the amplifiers have issues precisely at ISO 168 and not so much at 217?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking other RAW converters; ya I'm also curious why the ISO only a little higher and the red/blue dots are no present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pnwxcharlie  wrote

Thanks for checking other RAW converters; ya I'm also curious why the ISO only a little higher and the red/blue dots are no present.

My guess is that this is either a software bug on the drone or something strange about the amplifiers on the sensor that behave weirdly at certain settings. This does happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same thing. Opened it in several raw converters and they do the same. You can see it even without boosting exposure. These look like actual pixel noise or even stuck pixels in the deep shadows. I don't know much about this camera's sensor but it either is a limitation of the camera that it is just noisy in the deep shadows with lots of hot pixels or this sensor has an issue that might be fixed by replacing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be a common problem with DJI raws. For example: DJI Mavic DNG import to Lighroom with pink noise, view correctly in windows | Photoshop Family Custo... .  See that topic for a DJI utility called "DNG Cleaner" that apparently works for some people.  If you Google "DNG Cleaner", you'll see lots of references to it (and the symptoms it tries to fix).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the DJI DNG cleaner and it appears its for the Phantom 3 drone (I have the Mavic Pro); idk if it makes a different but after converting the files, LR doesn't allow me to open them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also took a picture during midnight and I got normal noise BUT no red/blue dots.

DJI_0429.dng - Google Drive

I increased the "exposure" by 3 to show that on abnormal red/blue dots are visible just noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The noise in the image where you increased the exposure doesn't seem at all like the big red sparkles in your original post.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded and viewed your image in ACR. I see the same red sparkles as everyone else.  I also reviewed about 4,000 images from my Phantom 2 Vision + and Phantom 3 Pro. Although I don't have any images taken at that time of day, I do have plenty with extremely dark black areas. Zooming in to those black areas and increasing exposure several stops does not create the effect we are seeing in your file.

If I was in your shoes, I would ask DJI to replace the drone.

I was recently at the WPPI conference in Vegas where the DJI employee photographer told me the Phantom 4 Pro was much better than the Mavic for image quality.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm I do have DJI Care Refresh that allows me to replace+repair the drone (expires in Jan 2018); the drone is currently working and everything appears fine (even after my first crash last week). Maybe I should hold off until sometime before Jan and/or the red+blue dots reoccur? The weather has gotten better and I'd hate to miss weeks of photo opportunities, esp if the red+blue dots isn't something that continues to happen. What are your thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a hardware/image sensor issue, chances are that it will return again. Electronics don't usually heal themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello guys,i did have the same problem and i did solve it. if you just go to right corner you will see something similar to AS(in cards number 1).just press that one and it will turn it off and also you can turn it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines