• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am trying to print a booklet from InDesign CC 2017. Set up custom page size and it is printing much smaller

Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm trying to print booklets from InDesign 2017 (Windows 10), and I set up a custom page size when I began the booklet. Now that I'm ready to print, the page size is much smaller than what I specified when setting it up. I did go back and change the page size to be just a bit larger, but it won't even print to the size I originally set it up for. Any suggestions? If you need anym information I will be happy to provide it! Thanks in advance for any help!  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

That should work. The Print Booklet feature is famous for not working well with some print drivers. Can you show a screen capture of the Print Booklet dialog set to Preview with Print Settings open like in my #1?

You could also try exporting a PDF using the PDF/X-4 preset and trying Acrobat's Booklet printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure Scale to Fit is not checked under Print Settings...>Setup>Options. Here my letter spreads with crops won't fit on a tabloid sheet, so with Scale To Fit checked it gets reduced:

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 8.11.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I did make sure it wasn't checked. I did as much research on this as possible. I worked on it for about 5 hours yesterday. No matter what I did, it wouldn't print to the size the page setup showed. Thank you again, I really appreciate your reply! If you have any other suggestions, I will try anything! If need be, I can post screenshots of my settings/set up. If there's anything I can post that would help, I will gladly do it! Have a wonderful day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for ease, my solution requires 3 mouse clicks. Definitely easier than thinking up, then typing, new names for 3 sets of master pages in each of the dozen docs I'm merging into one.

Are you referring to page size which is set in the initial Document Setup dialog or Paper Size which is set in the Print dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page size that is set in the initial document setup dialog. I also tried using the Page Tool, but it's showing the correct size, just not printing the correct size. All of my pages in the booklet are the same size. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the page size and what is the paper size you are trying to print on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page size is 4in by 5.9375 inches and paper is letter size (8.5 x 11). Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should work. The Print Booklet feature is famous for not working well with some print drivers. Can you show a screen capture of the Print Booklet dialog set to Preview with Print Settings open like in my #1?

You could also try exporting a PDF using the PDF/X-4 preset and trying Acrobat's Booklet printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure exactly what you want me to screenshot. I'm sorry. I definitely can do it, I just don't understand. Also, I did export to PDF, but it made my document look really weird. Not just out of order, but it moved text and objects etc. That was using "printer - Adobe PDF".. I've read about exporting to PDF using PostScript, and I don't understand the difference, but I tried that several times and it wouldn't work. I did the troubleshooting for that and nothing worked. I'm not even sure if that would make a difference. I'm very new to all of this. I apologize for my ignorance, I'm trying to learn! I'm also tweaking my printer as well to try and find out if it's something with that. I thought I had tried all the settings, but I can't be sure, so I'm changing them, writing down what I try, then changing again until I know I've tried all of that. Thank you for your help and patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm so sorry! It was all in my printer preferences! I just didn't try one thing because I wasn't writing down what I had tried! Thank you for your replies/advice! I apologize for wasting your time!    I don't think I would have gotten here without your guidance anyway! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines