Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large PDF Document

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a large PDF document that is nearly 2GB, and I need to get the size of it down to around 1 GB.

I have used Adobe Acrobat Pro to open the document and re-saved the file using the 'Reduced File Size' option which has brought the file size down to 20.5MB.

I need to know if using this method just compresses the file, or does it actually reduce the quality of the file?

I need to have high quality still on this document as it is to be uploaded for a print on demand book.

If anyone can help me with this query I would be most grateful.

Thanks very much.

Amanda

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amanda, with Adobe Acrobat Pro, you have two was to reduce the size of a PDF file:

1. Reduced Size PDF
  2. Optimized PDF

The first one will apply a set of changes that will reduce the quality of e.g. images in your PDF file. This is a "one size fits most" approach, and as long as you are happy with the output, there is nothing wrong with it.

If you however need to know exactly what goes on during the file size reduction, you need to use the "Optimized PDF" method (only available in Pro, "Reduced Size PDF" is also available in Standard). Here you can pick and choose what gets removed or reduced in your PDF file. The first thing you should do is to run a file size audit (there is a button on the dialog to do that). This will tell you how much space is used up by what features, and you can then target your selections to the areas that can be removed or reduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you cannot reduce the size of the PDF to your 1 MB target size, then you can share the PDF through a link to a sharing service like Google Drive, DropBox, MS OneDrive, etc. or split the PDF into smaller files each less than 1 MB in size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines