• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create this gradient effect?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. This is my first time on the forums, so I am sorry if I am not doing this correctly. Anyway, I like to design airplane liveries in my free time on photoshop. Being relatively new to the software, I was wondering how gradients like the ones shown below are created. If anyone has instructions to make gradients like this, I would love to hear. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.16.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.15.52 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to the pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this, I'm a big fan of using Blending modes, varying shades of gray for darkness and lightness, and Clipping Masks to control the position of the effect. Here, I created a gradient, applied it to a new layer, Made a Clipping Mask to make sure the colors only showed on the pixels I wanted, changed the blending mode to Soft Light, so that ONLY the luminosity of the grays affected my colors beneath, and then messed with the opacity. Hope it helps!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice - Thank you for posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second example is fairly simple it is just a pattern with a gradient mask to fade it.

The black squares are slightly more involved but can be done like this:

1. Use View – New guide layout to create a grid of guidelines

2. Set the rectangle shape tool to draw a square from the centre

3. Drag out a square just under the guide square size

4. In the layers panel – duplicate the shape then use the move tool to move it to the next grid position and scale it to say 95%

5. Repeat the above scaling to 90% , 85% , 80% etc so you have a column of reducing squares

6. Group those shape layers and duplicate the group – using the move tool to position them next to the first

7. Repeat until you have the full pattern

8. Add a new color fill layer set to red under the black shape groups

9. Convert all the shape groups plus the color fill layer to a single smart object

10 You can now make a tail-plane shape and apply the smart object with a clipping mask to that shape – rotating it as required

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Dave! Nice step-by-step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote a script several years ago that will sample an image and size a pattern based on that reference image using the Deco fill scripts. It can take a little playing around to get what you want though.

Scripted Fill UI - Photoshop CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For simulating a circular halftone dot a Pattern of a blurred circle set to Hard Mix may suffice, the square could be faked with two sets on blurred line Patterns (at 0Ëš and 90Ëš).

The result could then be used as a Smart object that uses Blend If-settings to hide either the black or the white parts, colorised and combined with the other design elements.

gradientHalftonePatternScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could do the square dots by making a pattern with a Diamond Gradient, like so:

You could also convert from Grayscale to Bitmap using square halftone dots, and then convert back to Grayscale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines