• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why has my image saved with a white background?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have just created a number of photoshop illustrations. The last page has saved with a large white background?? It is slightly off set. It's like the image I have made has been saved on a larger white layer? I can't work out why this has happened. It has not happened on any of the other illustrations I have created? The only difference on this image is I used some text?

Any help would be most appreciate.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen snapshot showing the image and including the layers panel along with information on what format you used to save the file  would help us to help you.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for your response. Here are two snapshots. The one with the white border which does not show in PS on the work top. Only when I save the image. Also I have a screenshot of my work space with layers.

I'm sure its something really obvious. I'm a novice 🙂

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 07.56.22.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 07.55.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things: one is that you're saving as a jpg, and jpgs can't show transparency, so you are getting the white. Second, you're using an artboard that most likely is not the same size and the actual canvas size of the file, so when you save as a jpg, It is saving the entire file size and not a cropped version to the size of the artboard. Crop you image to the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To adjust the Canvas Size to your artboard or picture, use the command Image: Trim.

Then save as jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

That worked perfectly.

Can you tell me how I started working on an Art Board? That is the first time I think I have done that? Also why would you use an art board rather than plain layers?

Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For what you are doing you do not need an artboard.  Artboards come in when you need multiple layouts in the same document.

To start a new document without one - make sure "Artboards" is not checked when you create the document in the New document dialogue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also activate Artboards via the selection tool as shown here.

ps_artboard.jpg

'Also why would you use an art board rather than plain layers?'

You may find this helpful for more info on designing with and using artboards in Photoshop > Use artboards in Adobe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your help.

Its beginning to start making sense 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fantastic thank you.

Very frustrating as Photoshop is massive and its all new to me.

I'm making notes from here! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines