Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullets Within Numbered Lists Are Incorrect

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2008 Sep 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We recently upgraded from RH5 to RH7 and have noticed that quite a few of our topics are having problems when it comes to using bullets within numbered lists. Our Robo project is a number if years old and has well over 2k files in it. We are finding this issue in both old and new topics.

We use a style sheet for our numbers and our two levels of bullets, but the bullets are not graphics. The level 1 bullets are solid circles and the level 2 bullets are solid squares. When we view our topics in the WYSIWYG, everything looks fine. When we view the topic using the "View Selected Item" button or after compiling, we find that some, but not all, of our topics have this issue.

When a bulleted list is used after text, everything turns out fine. Its only when the bullets are used within a numbered list (for our procedures) that this happens. What we see is that our bullets change to numbers. For example, we have Step 1 (1.), Step 2 (2.) and three bullets that appear as (3., 4., 5.) even though they should be solid circles, and then our Step 3 appears as it should (3.).

Again this is happening to both new and old topics, but not all topics. In order to "fix" the issue, we have to remove the style from the bulleted text and use the "Create a Bulleted List" button in Robo and adjust the alignment and paragraph spacing to match what our style sheet has.

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Attached is the code from a topic that appears incorrectly. If you would like a sample of a topic that appears correctly, please let me know.

Thank you!
Melissa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008
After a couple of tries at modifying the stylesheet, here is what ended up working:

I made a new project so I could modify the CSS without any drastic results. I removed all of the generated kadov code and saved the .css file. Then I went into Robo and used the built in CSS editor to remove the Bullets1, Bullets2 and Numbers styles, and then added them back in.

Not only did this make my test topics appear correctly, it put the correct code into the .css file (for my lists, the styles were ente...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we see the style code for Numbers and Bullets1, to give us a better sense of what's happening? Note also that RH will close lists when it encounters interruptions, and then reopens the lists with a "restart" numbering hard-coded.

See Snippet 50 in Peter Grainge's web site.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From our stylesheet:

Numbers:
Normal + text-indent: -.02in; margin-left: 0.22in; margin-right: .2in; list-style: decimal;

Bullets1:
Normal + list-style: disc; margin-left: 0.5in; margin-top: 6pt; margin-bottom: 6pt;

Bullets2:
Normal + list-style: square; margin-left: 0.9in; margin-top: 6pt; margin-bottom: 6pt;

I am also reviewing Snippet 50 now.

Thank you Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be helpful too :)

Also I noticed, since we did upgrade from 5 to 7, there are still references to kadov in the style sheet. Could this cause an issue too? Kadov code attached as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'd be better of writing your styles to the LI element, rather than P (LI.Numbers, etc.).

As it is, you're trying to apply a paragraph style to the list item after you've called the LI tag:
<li style="font-style: normal;" class=p-Bullets1><p class=Bullets1>Rates</p></li>

Also, "class=p-Bullets1" isn't calling anything in your CSS file, kadov or not.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
After a couple of tries at modifying the stylesheet, here is what ended up working:

I made a new project so I could modify the CSS without any drastic results. I removed all of the generated kadov code and saved the .css file. Then I went into Robo and used the built in CSS editor to remove the Bullets1, Bullets2 and Numbers styles, and then added them back in.

Not only did this make my test topics appear correctly, it put the correct code into the .css file (for my lists, the styles were entered as LI and not P). The original Robo 5 stylesheet didnt have any entires for UL or OL. Using the editor in Robo to remove and add my list elements put that in the sheet.

Everything looks great.

Thank you both, Leon and Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back up your CSS and then you can remove the Generated Code stuff.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp