• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prores doesn't work in AE 2014, but does in 2015 & 2017?

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving from mac to windows for my editing and I'm having a problem with Pro res files. They load fine in AE 2015 and 2017, but lock up AE 2014 (I tried a clean install with and without updates) when I try to load the project. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I really need to be able to use 2014 because the "Improvements" in 2015 and 2017 do not work well (not to mention the new UI is butt ugly and makes it hard to find what I'm looking for).

EDIt: This is on a clean install of windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2015 and later have native ProRes decoding on Windows. See this blog post from May 2016: Apple QuickTime on Windows: Update | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

If you have the QuickTime 7 installed then you should be able to decode ProRes on Windows but not encode it: Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows

However, read the blog post first. It's no longer recommended to have QuickTime installed on Windows as it has major security issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I was using quictime alternative and it worked on a test machine, but for some reason, it doesn't work on this my production machine. I installed quicktime 7.79 and it works now. I would prefer not to have quicktime installed, but I need to be able to use AE 2014 because 2015 and 2017 can't reliably play back audio without slowdowns or pitch changes, among other problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

miker63693834  wrote

. I would prefer not to have quicktime installed,

As long as you just have the QuickTime main components installed and you don't have the web player browser tie-ins, the security issues shouldn't be relevant. I have it installed without fear on all of my Windows machines.

miker63693834  wrote

I need to be able to use AE 2014 because 2015 and 2017 can't reliably play back audio without slowdowns or pitch changes, among other problems.

That's a pity! There are some nice, new features in them! I haven't had the issues you describe. Have you tried the CC 2017.1 update?

There may be other issues at play, what monitor are you using? Is it a Dell (4k) P2715Q?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi miker,

What's happening with this situation now? Is it resolved? Have you updated yet? What's going on?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pity! There are some nice, new features in them! I haven't had the issues you describe.

I tried this on both a mac and a windows machine and had the same issues with both. After doing a web search I found that this is an issue a lot of other people have been having.

Have you tried the CC 2017.1 update?

I just exported a bunch of videos from premiere pro 2017 2017.1 using Media encoder and instead of taking the 5 minutes it should take, it took over an hour for the first one. After that I cancelled and exported everything else manually from Premiere. The new title tool is another mostly broken tool that should not have been pushed out on users.  Adobe really needs to stop releasing crap updates and fix the features they already have before adding new stuff. I'm tired of being used as a beta tester. I'll stick with 2014 until they release something I actually need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines