• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hunspell is not working for InDesign 2017 if it is run on Sierra (10.12.+)

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started this on another thread three months ago but need to do it again.

I have installed Hunspell for my language, (Icelandic but the issue is in other dictionaries too), into InDesign CC 2017 on various macs using various systems. Used the same way I have used since ID CS6 up to 2015.

It all works well, except on macs using the Sierra (10.12.2) system.

The issue did not change in the 2017.1 upgrade. I am starting to think that Hunspell users have not upgraded their system for a while.

Has anyone had a similar situation with their Hunspell installs? Has anyone found they needed to do something differently while installing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Oddly this thread has been marked as answered. Odd, because this has not been solved inside InDesign, now InDesign CC 2018.

However, I have found out that the file:  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Resources/Dictionaries/LILO/Linguistics/Providers/Plugins2/AdobeHunspellPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHunspellPlugin is broken and the whole problem can be solved by replacing it with the same file from InDesign CC 2015.

I have made an installer which does exactly this replacement. As far as I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have huge problems with hunspell on Mac OS X 10.11 That is why I only work with Proximity.

Hyphenation does not work correctly, and it shows often every word as wrong written as if I had chosen a wrong language which is not the case.

I have filed a bug report, but it has not been improved since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that. I would like to know what Hunspell dictionary you use and where they com from (if you don't mind I would gladly receive it in email, sigurarm@islenska.is). Just for curiosity and experiment.

The thing is that I have made installers last few years to install Hunspell. I have to service about 30 macs, so this saves me a lot of time.

Recently I bought a new iMac for the office. It had Sierra installed. The Hunspell installer didn't work. I downgraded the system to El Capitan and then all worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use German 2006 which is included with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. This situation is not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi and Sigurdur,

This issue as you are discussing seems strange. I am not sure how your previous conversations were missed.

I really want to understand the problem and see what i can do to resolve it.

Though, i get some sense on your problem by above conversation, but unable to reproduce the issue on my system.

Can you please share with me some more details about the issue and some steps(dictionary version, what operations you are doing, how you are doing) to reproduce to it.

You may drop the information @ monsingh@adobe.com

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Monica Singh

InDeisgn Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for replying to this. Sorry, I did not see it until today.

The story from my point of view goes like this:

When I started using CS6 I discovered that Hunspell part of InDesign. I installed Hunspell for Icelndic according to Adobe’s directions at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html I am sure many would like to see the current for the dictionary. I realised at the same time that a huge number of InDesign users would not use this solution because it would mean digging to far into the computer.

So, I made an installer for this and have offered it free ever since. I have also updated it installers according to changes, like Creative Cloud and CC 2015, witch changed to path inside the InDesign folder.

The installers are available on my website at http://font.is I have also made the installers for InCopy and a friend helped me to make an installer for PC. I have also made a few more for minority language groups, Gealic, Galian and Latin by requests.

I have, every now and then, installed Hunspell manually, so I know that procedure quite well too.

When the MacOsX was upgraded to Sierra the installation failed. Both with an installer and manually. A Mac that is bought new with Sierra will not let Hunspell work in InDesign CC 2017, but if one downgrades to El Capitan all works fine.

To me it seems that the failure in on the Apple side. I hope that you will be able to move this matter a bit. It’s been about seven monthes now. I posted about this on InDesignSecrets.com in an article by Sandee Cohen and she replied to me over this weekend and today. According to answers she go from Adobe she had failure in two places: The path to the Dictionary (the path changed after she wrote the article) and she had also forgot to tweak the info.plist. Neither of this are part of my problem. And as I said, my installer and manual install works fine on systems older than 10.12 (Sierra).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For me too, (with MacOS Sierra 10.12.5), the plugin hunspell does not seem to work for Indesign 2017.1.

I can always use Proximity for French, but I also have text in Latin. And there's no Latin dictionary Proximity, only Hunspell.

I am very embarrassed by this problem which "destroys" a long layout job, for a document that would soon be sent to the printer.

In short, what solution do you have to offer?

The plugin hunspell looks corrupted. A reinstallation of Indesign fixes the problem temporarily (but installing / uninstalling Indesign without stopping is not a solution !!;)

And it seems that the plugin is corrupted by the following manipulation: in the same paragraph, choose a different language for a part of the paragraph, turn off automatic hyphenation, not only for the selected language, but for all languages ​​that use hunspell dictionaries ; not only for the selected language, but definitively, in all paragraphs in all documents.

Be thanked in advance for the attention you will bring to this problem

cordially

Quentin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you should be communicating directly with the Adobe engineer Monica Singh using the email address she provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quentin.

Today, there is no option but to run InDesign on MacOsX 10.11 (El Capitan) to get Hunspell to work. One possibility would be to install Parallels to be able to run two different systems. Of course that is a bit drastic, but downgrading the whole machine is the other option.

The other thing I wanted to mention to you, is that I have made an installer for Latin which you are welcomed to use if you want (when the problem has been fixed). Just mail me and I'll send it to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sigurdur

Thank you for your message. I work with an iMac and a MacBook pro. I think I'll downgrade one.

I am interested in your installer for Latin. I'm curious about how you realized it. The hyphenation of the Latin words respects much more the emotimology than the French or the English. It is not easy !!

Here is my address: athanase <a> moreauquentin.com

A big thank-you !

QM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were able to get Hunspell to work on your system using El Capitan?  Interesting.  I'm running OS El Capitan 10.11.6 and have not found any of the solutions recommended here to work. To define, what was the correct answer to this dilemma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this tagged as an answer? It is a reply, yes. But the problem is still unresolved.

(Kudos to Siggi for all his work.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found out what has been preventing Hunspell to work on InDesign 2017 and 2018, if you were using Sierra or newer MacOsX.

There seems to be a bug in this file here: /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Resources/Dictionaries/LILO/Linguistics/Providers/Plugins2/AdobeHunspellPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHunspellPlugin

But if you replace if with the same from InDesign version 2015 all will work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly this thread has been marked as answered. Odd, because this has not been solved inside InDesign, now InDesign CC 2018.

However, I have found out that the file:  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Resources/Dictionaries/LILO/Linguistics/Providers/Plugins2/AdobeHunspellPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AdobeHunspellPlugin is broken and the whole problem can be solved by replacing it with the same file from InDesign CC 2015.

I have made an installer which does exactly this replacement. As far as I can see it solves the Hunspell problems with InDesign CC 2017 and 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigurdur,

I know how long you've been working on this issue. I'm happy, through your intense efforts, you've come to a solution. As a moderator, I've marked your last comment as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.

Although InDesign users can buy hyphenation extensions or plug-in, many do want to use the free Hunspell solution. Personally I prefer it because it means I never have to wait for updates or upgrades. Besides that I have 30 licenses I need to keep updated although only half of them actually very rarely need to have our language hyphenation ability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved this and Hunspell is working how in any later systems on a mac. This is actually for the Icelandic language but I also made an installer which solves this issue of other languages, that is, solves the problem that prevented the Hunspeller from working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have issue with INDD 2020. Macedonian hunspell.

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution, but it's not pretty. You will need to install XCode or the XCode developer tools. This is free.

1. Install XCode or the XCode Command Line Tools. The former is in the App Store. For the latter, Google it. If you install XCode, launch it once to install the command line tools.
  2. Backup AdobeHunspellPlugin.bundle in case you mess it up.
  3. Open the Hunspell bundle (Show Package Contents).
  4. Delete the _CodeSignature directory.
  5. In terminal, navigate to the Contents/MacOS directory in the Hunspell bundle.
  6. Enter:
sudo codesign --remove-signature AdobeHunspellPlugin

This will remove the code signature from the Hunspell binary.

Restart InDesign.

If you followed Adobe's direction for adding custom Hunspell dictionaries, they should now be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way, this will also work on InDesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines