• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best JPG/PNG compression plugin?

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a quailty JPG & PNG compression plugin for Photoshop CC.  I've searched around the forum but I was hoping to find at least a few options to choose from before I purchase! And I'd like to hear what ya'll think is the best out there!
Thanks for your time,

Tiffany

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you intending to replace the Jpeg and PNG plugins that Adobe installs or add additional plug-ins like SuperPNG? Jpeg and PNG file formats seem to be built into Photoshop.exe I do not see  a plug-in in  "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Required\Plug-ins\File Formats" for Jpeg and PNG.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any specific problem with Photoshop's jpeg and png compression?

This is the first time I hear of anyone requesting third-party solutions for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am new to Photoshop CC and I wasn't sure if the "save for web" is the best option.  The only plugin I know about is this https://www.topazlabs.com/dejpeg  to really clean jpeg's up nicely, (although I don't think this one does PNG, which I also need).  If most think that "save for web" is as good as it gets, then I'll just go with that!  Just wanted to see if there were other options that I don't know about!!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG is lossy and complicated; there is the potential to fine tune the lossy process. But PNG is lossless. What goes into the PNG is the exact pixels, exact colours you had in Photoshop, and that's what comes out. It's basically like making a ZIP file. So I'm not sure what kind of PNG tuning you could need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I see what you're saying! That helps me understand!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should say my end goal is excellent image quality with really small file sizes! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "dejpeg" plugin isn't for saving jpegs, it's for salvaging what's left on the receiving end.

Jpeg is always a compromise. If you overdo the compression the file quickly gets chopped into mincemeat. The trick is to hit the right balance, and the only way to do that is by eye. View the file at 100% and check what the compression does.

PNG compression is non-destructive, but not as effective. If you can live with bigger files, png is usually better.

The reason jpeg is still widely used, is that it's insanely effective. It can squeeze a file down to 2-10% of original size - but at a cost. There's no free lunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an interesting exercise to save out to JPG with a range of settings, and Place Embedded to saved JPGs back over the original.  Setting blend mode to Difference show which pixels have changed, but that is always going home in on the busiest part of the image.  Having just tried that experiment, I could see no difference at quality 12 and 10, but by quality 5 it is very noticeable, and at quality 1, the image is toast!

200% zoom JPG quality 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tinypng (https://tinypng.com/) optimises jpeg and png images for web use. Usually around a 70% saving on file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TinyPNG crashes on me multiple times a day. I am still looking for a good solution for exporting optimized PNGs. TinyPNG is just an interface for PNGQuant. I have an added step to optimize all my files through the command line. I would like Photoshop to finally add the option for PNGQuant or something similar since Google is pushing mobile first and Speed optimization. Sketch outputs optimized PNG's natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't any good plugin for PhotoShop. I searched myself, and beside TinyPNG which crashes I could not find any other which can compress PNG or JPG. However, I found a better solution, which can compress multiple pictures. It is a window's software I'm definitely sure there should be mac version as well check "There isn't any good plugin for PhotoShop. I searched myself, and beside TinyPNG which crashes I could not find any other which can compress PNG or JPG. However, I found a better solution, which can compress multiple pictures. It is a window's software I'm definitely sure there should be mac version as well. Please check "nggauntlet.com" - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TinyPNG worked well for me until I upgraded to an laptop with an M1 processor - TinyPNG doesn't work with M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The TinyPNG plugin is also no longer being developed. They won't be supporting anything bast PS 2023.  😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpegmini  am AWESOME plugin! The only downside is it only compresses JPEG, no PNG or GIF optimization is available. There’s a free trial version that you can install. 200 photos are included in the free version! ☺️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines