• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDML Section 508 Compliant (Accessibility) Function Loss?

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a Section 508-compliant (accessibility for persons with disabilities) InDesign file is created in CC2017 and saved as IDML file, does the IDML file (when opened in a previous version, CS5) retain its Section 508-compliant accessibility features? Or are some accessibility features lost when an IDML file is opened in a previous version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save as IDML, the InDesign file is converted to XML. When an IDML is opened, it is totally recreated using the current version of the software. If there were accessibility features which were created in CC 2017, they could only be re-created if they also existed in CS5. CS5.5 added some new accesibility features so they would be lost in CS5.

I'm not a accesibility expert so I can't tell you exactly what those features were but they included the ability to create Alt tags, for example. That I remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a save back through six major releases. It's absolutely a disaster waiting to happen to whomever is receiving that file so if I were you I'd cover myself with a detailed statement that you cannot be held accountable for lost features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted, and agreed! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines