Downloaded installer corruptedI

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX version: 10.10.5  Mac Pro

Safari version: 10.0.3

Currently installed Flash player: 24.0.0.194

I've attempted to download and install the latest update multiple times.  Every single time it says the file is corrupted and should be ejected and does so without installing. 

What should I do?  Is it possible the file on the server is corrupted?  Is my setup somehow interfering?   There is no stored website data in safari or Flash in all the possible locations I could find to check and delete.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the current one, and the DMG mounted ok. It's the one here:

Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Tried that link and same result.  Attached screenshot of error.Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.39.57 PM.png

Any ideas on what's causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I think that under Yosemite there was an oddness where if you had not given permission to download apps from places other than the App Store, a DMG might seem to be damaged.

Go into System Preferences, Security & Privacy, General, and allow it to download from anywhere.

Here's a picture: osx-yosemite-security-prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We've not heard any widespread reports on this, so it's possible it's something with/on your system.

• What are your settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps to download from?
  • From where are you downloading the installer file? Adobe site, or elsewhere?
  • Verify the file is signed by Adobe:
    • Mount the DMG image
    • Launch Terminal
    • in terminal type: codesign -vvd <Path to Adobe Flash Player.app>
      • e.g. codesign -vvd codesign -vvd /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app
      • copy and paste the results
  • Verify the sha256 hash value of the file:
      • In Terminal: shasum -a 256 <path to>/AdobeFlashPlayer_24_ast_install.dmg

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you.

Will this change not make my computer more vulnerable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you suggested and no change.  Still get the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction:  Went back to make sure the Security & Privacy change had taken effect and it was still set to Mac App Store and identified developers.  Not sure why it didnt' take.  Got a bunch of warnings that my computer would initiate a nuclear explosion if I changed that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's resetting itself after I attempt to open the flash DMG.  Very strange.  So it would appear that is the issue.

How to fix if my computer won't allow me to turn off that setting?  It allows it but it just doesn't stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JiJoBoJaJa ,

Please provide the information I previously requested (on Feb 21).

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Maria,

Thanks for your response.  Sorry I missed that.  The forums must've been collapsed.

• What are your settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps to download from?

"Mac App Store and identified developers."  I tried changing this to "Anywhere" but it keeps automatically reverting back to "Mac App Store and identified developers" without me changing it back.

• From where are you downloading the installer file? Adobe site, or elsewhere?

get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/osx/ with https:// at the beginning.  Can't type that here without it turning to a link.

• Verify the file is signed by Adobe:
    • Mount the DMG image
    • Launch Terminal
    • in terminal type: codesign -vvd <Path to Adobe Flash Player.app>
      • e.g. codesign -vvd codesign -vvd /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app

codesign -vvd /Users/<user_name>/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_25au_ast_install.dmg

/Users/<user_name>/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_25au_ast_install.dmg: code object is not signed at all

Where <user_name> is my user name on my computer

• Verify the sha256 hash value of the file:
    • In Terminal: shasum -a 256 <path to>/AdobeFlashPlayer_24_ast_install.dmg

shasum -a 256 /Users/<user_name>/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_25au_ast_install.dmg

2637a88481aea5f9709d8f7a7b0227421f5688ba92258f4b049d5f5e665c8900  /Users/<user_name>/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_25au_ast_install.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The signature information is in the .app file, not the DMG.  Please read through my instructions again, mount the DMG, and then obtain the signature information on the .app file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a recent issue that shouldn't be showing on your system, but maybe the same solution will work:

Open the DMG.

Right-Click on Install Adobe Flash Player and choose Show Contents.

Open the folder Contents, then MacOS.

Double-click on the file Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.

In later systems those steps are a way around the apparent installer corruption. It may not be what will fix it for you, but may as well try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry m_vargas I guess I don't know what it means to mount the DMG.  I assumed it meant double click the dmg which is what I did then got info on the app and copy pasted the location.  I can't double click "Install Adobe Flash Player.app" because it gives me the attached error.  Was the source of the original problem.  So I can only assume I'm not understanding the steps because I don't know what I'm doing.  Will stab around and re-read your directions another half dozen times in the hopes I can intuit what you mean.  I do appreciate the help I just have absolutely no clue what I'm doing here.  Problems are so rare on my Mac that I've got very little knowledge of how things work.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.34.26 AM.png

Colin Holgate thanks for your reply.  I gave your suggestion a try.  I receive the same error as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOOOHHHHH, wait a minute, do you mean the already installed Flash Player app?  Not the one I'm having trouble installing?    Just occurred to me that might be what you're talking about.  You didn't specifically say that and since context was about the installer I thought it was the app in that installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello m_vargas

So this time I just copied and pasted the path directly from your instructions and this is what came back:

... codesign -vvd /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app

Executable=/Volumes/Adobe Flash Player Installer/Install Adobe Flash Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install Adobe Flash Player

Identifier=com.adobe.InstallAdobeFlashPlayer

Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (i386)

CodeDirectory v=20200 size=4737 flags=0x0(none) hashes=229+3 location=embedded

Signature size=8524

Authority=Developer ID Application: Adobe Systems, Inc.

Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority

Authority=Apple Root CA

Timestamp=Dec 2, 2016, 3:40:13 AM

Info.plist entries=22

TeamIdentifier=JQ525L2MZD

Sealed Resources version=2 rules=12 files=80

Internal requirements count=1 size=196

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JiJoBoJaJa

Sorry, I missed your post.

The codesign command indicates the file is correctly signed.  We don't have any widespread complaints on this (yours is the only one), so I suspect this is an issue with your system.  It's also odd that the Gatekeeper setting is not sticking when you set it to Anywhere.  While Apple will display all sorts of warnings when you select this, you should be able to select it and have it stick.  When you select 'Anywhere' does a confirmation window display where you confirm 'Allow From Anywhere'?

Alternatively, can you try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac page, in the 'Still having problems' section?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt response.  I'm sure my lag in response has contributed to you missing it in the first place.  I'm so busy it takes me a while to circle back to such stuff.

Tried your suggestion of downloading from the "Still having problems" section and same result.  See attached error message I received.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 2.38.37 PM.png

Will try resetting the Gatekeeper setting again and report back.

Previously I was able to download the installer using my iPad and parking it to DropBox then installing from my Dropbox folder on my Mac Pro but now the mobile site kicks in before I can bypass it and tells me my web browser cannot utilize flash.  So the mobile site functionality is waylaying me and I saw no obvious way to view classic site on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still unable to get "Anywhere" to stick.  It seems to be a problem with the way the file is downloaded.  My current version of Safari is  10.1.  As previously mentioned I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5.  I've not been having any issues with any other downloaded files lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried downloading the file using a different browser?  I'm not sure that's going to work, but it's worth a try.  The fact that no one else is reporting this and selecting 'Anywhere' is not sticking does point to an issue with your system.  I would recommend contacting Apple support for further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmmm okay.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried downloading with Opera (only other browser I have on my computer) and same result.  I believe this narrows it to an issue with either the way the installer is downloading, or the way my computer is reading the installer.  I was able to install previously by downloading the DMG file to Dropbox first then open Dropbox folder and install from the DMG downloaded to Dropbox.  So I wonder if it's somehow a network issue.

Is there any way I can download the DMG from an Adobe page that doesn't require flash to view? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Flash Player download page doesn't require Flash to view the download page.  If there was an issue with the installer itself we'd be receiving numerous complaints and we're not, so this indicates an issue with your system, not the installer itself, however, I can forward this to the team that handles the download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry mvargas but on both my iPad and phone I'm unable to download the installer because it says "this page requires flash to view."  I'm paraphrasing as I don't recall the exact message but that's the gist.  I can send you a screenshot from both.  If I wasn't receiving that message I'd be able to continue installing by downloading using my phone, park the download on DropBox then install the Flash update installer DMG from my Dropbox folder.  That process has worked in the past for me.  It doesn't any more because the update download page says it requires flash to view.

IMG_0487.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines