• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text boxes in Master Pages not showing up in pages I apply the Masters to

Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm new with InDesign. I've learned quite a bit over the past few weeks, but I'm having a small problem (however it is causing me to have to do a lot of extra work). I have created several master pages, and two of them have text boxes as placeholders (so I can make sure my text is lined up from one spread to the next). When I apply these master pages, the textboxes do not show up on the pages I've applied them to. I've checked the master pages themselves several times and the textboxes are there.. I just cannot figure out why they aren't showing up on the pages I've applied them to? I would think they are supposed to, perhaps I'm wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Hi,

You need to override your master page items to make them selectable/editable on document pages.

Check this link Learn how to use master pages in InDesign  and see the "Override a master item" section.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Duplicate of Re: Textboxes on Master Pages not showing up when I "apply master" to those pages..  ?

Also posting screenshots of the pages panel and your master pages is helpful for people to answer.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for the duplicate, I couldn't find my original post. It's not working with either of the master pages I have with text boxes. I will try to post screenshots, but I'm not exactly sure how to show what I'm saying.. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the master page, and you can see I'm pointing to show where one of my text boxes is....

Here I'm showing that I am adding a new spread and applying the master shown above

And here is the spread, with that master applied. I tried to point my cursor to where the text box should be, but I don't think it shows that. However, the text boxes are not there.  If there is something else I can post that would be more helpful, please let me know. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for those screenshots. The behavior looks strange.

Can you share your document either by uploading to Dropbox and posting a link here or sending me at amaarora@adobe.com ?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try this:

CTRL+H - it's Hide/Show Edges Command - maybe frame edges are hidden?

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macpawel Perfect!

I too was wondering why the frames on master pages have no container border and that if the frame after creation(shown in blue in screenshot 1) disappears as well

And if the edges could be seen in the pages panel, also the inconsistent behaviour:

kailar80342908 wrote

With one of the master pages that has textboxes, when I apply it, the textboxes show up on all of the pages applied to. With the second master page with textboxes, when I apply the master, the textboxes  do not show up on the pages I've applied it to

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was mistaken in that comment.. it's not working with either of the master pages that have text boxes. I will try doing what you asked above. I'm not sure how soon I will be able to get back on my laptop. Would emailing be better, or the hide frames? I'm a bit confused about this. I apologize, I'm pretty much brand new to this software. I've been using it for maybe a few weeks to a month. Thank you all for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand this.. should this fix my problem, or make it easier for you all to see my screenshots? I'm sorry, I'm really new to this and trying to retain a lot of information in a short time! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a page that I applied the master to after following your advice.. it looks like the text boxes are there, but when I try to actually use them, it doesn't work...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You need to override your master page items to make them selectable/editable on document pages.

Check this link Learn how to use master pages in InDesign  and see the "Override a master item" section.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, wow! I could have sworn I tried that! I've read the link you sent me multiple times, and I really thought I had tried this. I'm so sorry! Thank you so much! I figured it would be something simple.. but I can't believe it was this!! I am so disappointed in myself! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you the email, Aman. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text frame on Master is locked.

If you want to edit content (text) on your page you need to unlock this frame.

Try this: CTRL + Shift + click on your frame on normal page to unlock it and type your text

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really sorry to both of you guys! Before I ask anything I spend hours trying to find the information myself, and I really thought I had tried that. I think I'm just getting a bit burned out from working on this and trying to learn so much so quickly! I really appreciate you guys and again, I'm very sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No need to feel sorry. Helping and sharing information is the objective of the forum page.

Glad we could help and your problem was solved

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As amaarora said: DO NOT EVER FEEL SORRY.

It's easier to say than do.

BUT:

If you don't ask then you won't learn.

So there's no point in suffering if you couldn't find the answer.

Sure sometimes people will grump and say "why didn't you google this?"

But more often than not they will be happy to help...

Especially when they are as honest and willing to learn as you have already demonstrated.

Because by helping each other we all learn something new.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have inherited an InDesign file and am having trouble with the text box not staying within the text area when I assign a new master. I am sure the person before me used the "override master items"  so my question is does the override stay when applying a new master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thats fine. It just got me a little confused.

Ctrl+h way to show frame edges is good try.

Do let us know how it worked for you.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piggybacking n this post with the same issue but the existing answers didnt work. 

The Master primary text box worked perfectly for the first 13 pages. Then I had to leave for a bit and when I came back it wasn't working anymore!

Page margins are no longer showing either. 

Heres the Master. Notice the icon for primary text box will not change when clicked. Please help if you can. Deadline is Friday. ◑﹏◐   Much Apreesh

NicoletteLeighCreative_0-1633480068678.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SOLVED!

I had some spaces in the master text box which turned it into a regular text frame. lol 🤦‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines