• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solid PC (Weddings) - Updating Components for 2017 (4k60p)

Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

My Question: Which components should I upgrade to make way for the new workflow?

I was fortunate enough to have a computer built by ADK a couple years back (see specs below in attached pic). It's been a solid performer for the most part editing hundreds of weddings. A few hiccups here and there but pretty solid and I think a lot of that might have been software related/bugs in Premiere. Anyway, I'll list my workflow below along with my current specs and I'd love advice on which components might need to be updated if any as I prepare to begin shooting 4k60p and editing on a 24p timeline (we pull a lot of footage for slow-mo). Drivers are updated. Premiere is latest version as of today.

2014-2017 Workflow:

Sony a7s ***XAVC-s Footage shot at 1080p60

Very little 4k24p ProRes LT footage mixed in the multicam for 1/4 of it (recorded using Shogun).

Multicam (3 cameras)

***Everything edited on a 24p timeline

Lots of Warp Stabilizer Used (100's of clips)

Not many effects added or grading, etc. No After Effects.

I DON'T render anything except maybe a few shots on a

2017-?  Workflow:

Whatever Sony's Next Mirrorless (a7 line) camera is

All shot 4k60p

Everything edited on a 24p timeline

Lots of Warp Stabilizer Used (100's of clips)

Multicam (3 cameras)

Not many effects BUT we'll possibly shoot flat and add a look in post with the new cameras

Here's my computer specs below...

NOTE #1: I already purchased 32gb more RAM yesterday so now I'll have 64gb total when it arrives tomorrow.

NOTE #2: ADK currently has my CPU overclocked a bit. However, someone has offered me an Intel 8 core 5960x CPU for $650. Should I get it?

PERFORMANCE:

From what I can tell (using Task Manager and GPU-z) my memory and CPU are being used the most while editing. Memory usually get's pushed above 85% within an hour or two of heavy editing the above workflow and I have to close Premiere and reopen because it gets choppy. Then it refreshes the memory and I'm good for another couple hours. I don't see my GPU being overloaded much at all except when it's exporting a section of the timeline that has 4k footage (again, it's exporting to 1080p currently we'll have an entirely 4k workflow this year).

**Dual Monitors Issue:

I have a 4k monitor and a 21:9 monitor setup. Premiere's timeline acts REALLY strange and is almost unworkable (you hover over the top left side of the video portion of the timeline in order to scroll the AUDIO tracks up and down because hovering over the audio and scrolling does nothing)... unless I do this crazy workaround that I found where I go into display settings and (bare with me here cuz its strange) change the 4k monitor to 1080p, then apply, then scale BOTH monitors down to their "recommended" size (which leaves everything really small). Then I sign out. Sign back in and change the big monitor back to 4k and scale both monitors up to 200% and 150% where they look good. Hit apply but DON'T sign out again - then Premiere's timeline works correctly until the computer is restarted or signed out. Not sure if this is at all GPU related but ADK suggested there might be issues with using a 21:9 monitor but I like the size for a timeline only display and the above workaround, albeit annoying, does work.

ScreenshotSpecs.png

Would love to know everyone's thoughts on what might help my system the best given the workflow change (resolution only really) coming soon. As for budget...well, money matters, but I'm not stingy either when it comes to what I use day in and day out.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps my question in my original post was buried in too much detail. So I'll start with this...

Would upgrading my CPU from the intel 6 core 5930k to the 8 core 5960x help much given my upcoming workflow of editing 4k60p footage all on a 24p timeline, with multicam and lots of warp stabilizer added?

We'll start with that question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my experimenting with my i7-5960X  and where run it with various 'Cores, Threads and Clock results" at the bottom of this page

You can see form the CPU intensive MEGP2-DVD CPU Only column that it is a change from 413 seconds to 311 seconds going from 6-cores to 8-cores is indeed a major improvement.(non overclocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

If I read those charts right, that's the difference in time of exporting video to DVD? While debating what to update on my system, I'm trying to figure out which to do first that would make the greatest impact. CPU and Memory seem to be used the most. Again, my workflow will be constantly (weddings) editing 4k60p footage on a 24p timeline with some multicam and lots of warp stabilizer. Right now I have these pieces available to me from people nearby:

1) 5960x CPU for $650 - I currently have the 5930k

2) Asus GTX 1080 Founders Edition GPU for $400 - I currently have the GTX 970

Thoughts on that?

I just updated my memory from 32 to 64gb so hopefully that'll help. My first batch of sticks were bad so I returned them and am waiting on another set. I figured my hard disks were fine but if you don't think so let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No forget what media is used.  PPBM is four Premiere Pro hardware intensive tests. Each test is designed to stress either the CPU, GPU and Disk system.

CPU is the most important.  With that current CPU you would get very little performance boost by going to the GTX 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

CPU is the most important.  With that current CPU you would get very little performance boost by going to the GTX 1080

Appreciate that help. I don't see my GPU being overworked as is so that makes sense. But sounds like the jump from 5930k to 5960x would help. That and the RAM bump to 64gb will hopefully make things sail. Any other tweaks you recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

So I purchased more ram (now 64gb instead of 32gb) and also just bought the 5960x CPU (to replace my 5930k) last night.

Anything other tweaks you recommend based on my workflow of editing 4k60p footage on a 24p timeline (with occasional multicam) and lots of warp stabilizer?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aw!, too bad i saw this thread too late. the 7700k is actually the fastest processor for warp stabilizer and its much cheaper. warp stabilizer uses mostly 4 cores and higher ghz. its programmed kinda of backwards. since warp stabilization is your primary goal and you don't have many effects, you could have saved a lot of money and rendered products faster.

in warp stabilize, the i7 7700K is about 30-40% faster than the 6-10 core CPUs!

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-2017-Intel-Core-i7-7700K-i5-7600K-Performanc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisw44157881  wrote

aw!, too bad i saw this thread too late. the 7700k is actually the fastest processor for warp stabilizer and its much cheaper. warp stabilizer uses mostly 4 cores and higher ghz. its programmed kinda of backwards. since warp stabilization is your primary goal and you don't have many effects, you could have saved a lot of money and rendered products faster.

in warp stabilize, the i7 7700K is about 30-40% faster than the 6-10 core CPUs!

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-2017-Intel-Core-i7-7700K-i5-7600K- Performan...

That's an awesome resource! Thanks so much for that info. Fascinating that warp stabilizer prefers less cores and higher ghz. So despite that fact that close to 200 short clips are stabilized per wedding and I deal with one new wedding per week, it's not me that's "usually" doing the heavy stabilizing. It's my assistant editors. They go through, stabilize, and then hand over the project with all the clips we wanna use fully edited in slow-mo and stabilized. Yes, I do end up re-stabilizing a handful of them, but I'm often tweaking the settings which doesn't fully re-analyze the clip. I mostly go over the videos, tweak them, sometimes re-edit large portions, fix audio issues, and re-do any multicam or montage that needs help. So I'm dealing with lots of stabilized clips, but not always doing the stabilization. I deal with lots of dissolves and lots of slow-mo and lots of multicam from stuff shot at 60p but edited at 24p so I see my CPU numbers shoot up to the max a lot at times but the actual analyzing I don't do "as much" as I used to. Although we don't need to render anything usually, I do export quite a bit so the extra cores should help there. Sigh. I'm not gonna lie that it stinks to have read that article. I mean, that's great info for sure! Just funny that it's less than 12 hours after I bought the 5960x.

I'll have my tech guy overclock the 5960x so maybe that'll help right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, higher ghz will help a lot with warp. watch out for heat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisw44157881  wrote

yes, higher ghz will help a lot with warp. watch out for heat.

Thanks. I'll have the guys at ADK help me with that and they know their stuff so I'm sure they'll make it fly without getting too close to the sun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can apply warp stabilizer analyze to more than one clip at a time, so all 8 cpu cores can be used. the i7-7700k would have been a downgrade from your old 6 core cpu, and especially from your new 8 core.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-Mac-Pro-vs-PC-Performance-904/#WarpS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now THAT is fascinating!! And also great news! Because when I do stabilize clips, I almost always end up doing multiple clips at a time. I remember on my iMac from 2011 things would crash if I did more than about 10 clips (they're usually 5-10 seconds each) but since going to this PC there's no issue and I'll often stabilize 20-30 at a time. Now that I know doing more at a time HELPS, that's GREAT to know!!

Thank you so much for these great tests!! Super helpful! I honestly can't imagine many people having used Warp Stabilization more than I have in the past 3 years on Premiere. If I do the math, I'd say over 15,000 clip stabilized in those 3 years! I know it's strengths and it's limitations and how to shoot and with what lenses to make it most effective and to now know how to speed up the process in post will save us a TON of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand, that would not be as cost effective as it should have been because a new motherboard would be required in addition to that 7700K. (Remember, the LGA 1151 socket that the 7700K uses is completely incompatible  with the LGA 2011-3 socket that the 6- to 10-core CPUs use.) The cost of that CPU plus motherboard combined would be too close to that of the CPU upgrade for comfort - and then, the 6- to 10-core CPU would still outperform the quad-core CPU in many common tasks within Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL190365  wrote

On the other hand, that would not be as cost effective as it should have been because a new motherboard would be required in addition to that 7700K. (Remember, the LGA 1151 socket that the 7700K uses is completely incompatible  with the LGA 2011-3 socket that the 6- to 10-core CPUs use.) The cost of that CPU plus motherboard combined would be too close to that of the CPU upgrade for comfort - and then, the 6- to 10-core CPU would still outperform the quad-core CPU in many common tasks within Premiere.

Good to know. I have the Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard purchased from ADK in 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines