Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

custom naming preset on export

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have a small question I couldn't find any answers to while browsing the forums...

Is it possible to change the default hyphen Lightroom puts to a file name (IMG001-2.jpg) when you press "use unique name" on export, to an underscore (IMG001_2.jpg)?.

I am a planespotter and therefore have tons of pictures of airplanes which I import, edit, and export using Lightroom. I have my folder I export those images to and I name them by hand. I started using an underscore and adding the number of the photo (e.g. a340.jpg, a340_2.jpg, a340_3.jpg or 777.jpg, 777_2.jpg and so on). I noticed that Lightroom would warn me when it detects a duplicate (which happens quite often as I have to search for the latest number and make mistakes as I'm only human ) and offers the option of using a unique name, which adds a hyphen to the name. That theoretically is pretty practical but as I started off using underscores it doesn't help, as it would export duplicates as e.g. a340_266-2.jpg. It would be really helpful if it was possible to change that feature to an underscore so I could simply name my file "a340", Lightroom then see that a340.jpg is already taken, ask me if I wanted to use unique names, and then find duplicate file names all the way up to a340_266.jpg and finally rename my file to a340_267.jpg.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sluethi,

Please check out the below tutorials for renaming images while importing into Lightroom.

How to specify import options in Lightroom

https://photofocus.com/2015/01/06/renaming-your-photos-on-import-with-adobe-lightroom/

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for your answer! I saw that before and can't really figure out how that should help me... I can rename the files to e.g. 1.4.2017_0001.jpg and then have it sequencially rename them, but as I don't want to export all pictures and also have to rename them by aircraft type on the picture during export, this problem seems more complicated...

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines