• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't Want to Load Shooting Data With Caption

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two Nikon cameras.  D100 & D800E. 2013 iMac desktop 10.8x and I now use Nikon NX2 software.   In the past, with the D100 and the older Nikon View program I used then, (as I transferred the pictures from camera to computer),  I innocently checked a transfer box that attached all the camera’s shooting data onto the Caption field when I transferred the pictures from camera to computer .  At the time I thought it was a good idea.  It is causing me pause now with Lightroom.  This extra shooting data will import  okay into Lightroom's Caption field. But I am wondering if all this added information on the Caption field on every past D100 picture I have  (around 8K pic in all), will load up the Lightroom catalog too much?  Probably not from what I have read, I don’t know?  I have many more thousands of pictures to come that are going into Lightroom.  I need room for them!!  I may have asked this before, but is there a way to get rid of that Shooting Data at or after import all at once in Lightroom?  Or folder by folder? Rather than deleting  each picture’s  Caption shooting data string one by one after imported?  There is no way in Nikon.   All the information begins with:  “Beginning of Shooting Data”  [then lists all the shooting data] and ends with “End of Shooting Data.” The shooting data contained within these Beginning and End clauses is never the same.  It changes with each picture I take.   The Lightroom Caption field will list the Caption I gave it first then continue on with the Shooting Data.   I can’t erase all of the Caption field with a Lightroom preset at Import because  those pictures also have the individual captions that I have given them separately, as I said.   And filling my own captions back in afterwards for all my pictures, if I did use an Import Preset  would be as big a job.

Also if I did delete the Shooting Data in the Lightroom Caption field, one picture at a time after import, would it be completely gone from the Catalog or would the LR program just give each Shooting Data string information on each picture an extra mark that says – do not display? Thus, still keeping all that information in the Lightroom Catalog anyway?  I just have reservations of loading up Lightroom with extra, non-essential information.   That is why I’m going to have a flat keyword list.  I want the program to run as smoothly as possible.   Can you help me with this?

Thank You Very Much,

Thank You,

Sandy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

But I am wondering if all this added information on the Caption field on every past D100 picture I have  (around 8K pic in all), will load up the Lightroom catalog too much?

There's no such thing.

You do realize (I hope you do) that when you import photos into Lightroom, the EXIF information (I think that's what you call "shooting data") is imported into LR's database and stored in appropriate fields (fields such as Aperture and ISO etc.).

I may have asked this before, but is there a way to get ri

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I am wondering if all this added information on the Caption field on every past D100 picture I have  (around 8K pic in all), will load up the Lightroom catalog too much?

There's no such thing.

You do realize (I hope you do) that when you import photos into Lightroom, the EXIF information (I think that's what you call "shooting data") is imported into LR's database and stored in appropriate fields (fields such as Aperture and ISO etc.).

I may have asked this before, but is there a way to get rid of that Shooting Data at or after import all at once in Lightroom?

The Lightroom Caption field will list the Caption I gave it first then continue on with the Shooting Data.

Given this information, I don't think there is a way to delete this information from the caption field, other than one photo at a time.

Also if I did delete the Shooting Data in the Lightroom Caption field, one picture at a time after import, would it be completely gone from the Catalog or would the LR program just give each Shooting Data string information on each picture an extra mark that says – do not display? Thus, still keeping all that information in the Lightroom Catalog anyway?

There's no such thing as a mark that says do not display. As I said above, your EXIF information is stored in the proper fields in the LR database and you can search for these and filter on these.

I just have reservations of loading up Lightroom with extra, non-essential information.   That is why I’m going to have a flat keyword list.  I want the program to run as smoothly as possible.   Can you help me with this?

Catalog run as smoothly as possible ... well .. that's a very broad topic ... and the idea of "run as smoothly as possible" is quite subjective. In my opinion, catalogs can run very smoothly (using my definition of "smoothly") with lots of information in them; and there's no requirement to have a flat keyword list to make things run as smoothly as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sorry I did not get back to you sooner.  I am very sorry.

I didn’t even tell you my version of Lightroom!! It’s  5.  I’m
very happy to hear this won’t load up Lightroom at all.  Yes I knew any camera  Exif data on pictures that Lightroom had a
field for (I guess) would populate the like field in Lightroom.  Also any fields like Keywords or Caption that
I had previously filled out in Nikon View will show up in Lightroom after
import also.

Bummer for one photo
at a time to remove the Nikon Shooting Data on the Caption field. 

But if I deleted the Shooting Data on  pictures one by one, would it be gone in the
catalog?  And (I’m not sure how this
works)after deletion  would the field
again shrink to just contain my own Caption, or would empty space that
contained all the Shooting Data still be there in that field?  The reason
I’m so weird about this is because long ago I kind of read that every time
you add metadata to a picture’s file, it moves or displaces the image data on
the file too.  I asked about this and the
person said that if you change a Caption or Keywords etc…the change goes to
another partition or part of the file and doesn’t affect the image data at
all.  And too, this is a Lightroom
change to the catalog
, not the picture file itself (I’m not going to Save
to File yet)!  This doesn’t happen with
Lightroom?

Yes keeping the catalog running smoothly.  I have notes on that.   Backup notes.  I went back and forth a zillion times  whether or not to have a keyword hierarchy or
not.  Something about Lightroom attaching,
behind the scenes, every hierarchy tier keyword to every child keyword you make
put me off.  I know you don’t have to see
them, and this probably doesn’t load up the catalog like you said, but I
elected to, for now, to have my Keyword hierarchy out of Lightroom and in a
document. 

So I wish there was a Find and Replace in Lightroom.  I did just now find a plugin for Lightroom
that does this!!  I just don’t know if it
is able to use a wild card between text, to get rid of all the different  Shooting Data values.   I’ll think about all this.  I already have one plug-in for
Lightroom.  I guess Lightroom is built
for them.  I don’t know how many you can
have and be safe…

Sandy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I deleted the Shooting Data on  pictures one by one, would it be gone in the catalog

yes, by definition, if you delete some metadata in Lightroom, it is deleted from the catalog

And (I’m not sure how this works)after deletion  would the field again shrink to just contain my own Caption

Assuming you did it properly, yes your caption would be all that remains

I kind of read that every time you add metadata to a picture’s file, it moves or displaces the image data on the file too.

Only if you tell Lightroom to write the metadata to the file. You don't have to turn on that option. And if you have raw original files, then the metadata (or changed metadata) is never written to the Raw file. I wouldn't use the word "displaces" as under my understanding of the word, no data is "displaced" ever.

Yes keeping the catalog running smoothly.  I have notes on that.   Backup notes.  I went back and forth a zillion times  whether or not to have a keyword hierarchy or

not.  Something about Lightroom attaching,

behind the scenes, every hierarchy tier keyword to every child keyword you make

put me off.  I know you don’t have to see

them, and this probably doesn’t load up the catalog like you said, but I

elected to, for now, to have my Keyword hierarchy out of Lightroom and in a

document.

Whatever you heard, I think it is nonsense. Lots of people have hierarchical keywords and don't experience problems because of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the help.  I have one more important problem that just came up a day ago.  I've just started to import my photos into Lightroom and I really can't go on without knowing this.  Unless you would like me to re-submit this as a new question. 

I’m having trouble with moving my Backups Folder.  I have Lightroom 5. Running OSX 10.8.4 on my
iMac desktop.   Maybe I didn’t listen well enough to the
instructions.  I thought this would be
easy.  Now I have many questions.  Here is what I did and, so far as I know, it
didn’t work.  I made up a “Backups”
folder  in Pictures.  I closed Lightroom and the Backup dialog came
up as usual.   (I had one backup done
previous to this.)  I clicked on
CHOOSE.  Then I didn’t understand the
next dialog that came up.  I think I
pointed to the new “Backups” folder I made up in Pictures,  not in my Lightroom folder.   Then clicked OKAY.  Then  I
made a new backup and it was not in the new “Backups” folder I made up in
Pictures.  The new backup went into the
Backups folder in the Lightroom folder. 

1. Should I have named the new folder something
    different?  Like “LIGHTROOM BACKUPS?”  Then the “Backups” folder would be a
    subfolder inside of LIGHTROOM BACKUPS in Pictures?
  2. Can I only change the Backups folder to another different  drive location?  I can’t change it to another location in
    Pictures which is outside of the main Lightroom folder?
  3. I want copies of my Lightroom backups on other
    external hard drives, not just in one external hard drive.  Can
    I drag copies [time stamped folders]to a different named parent folder (to
    avoid confusion)  on other external hard
    drives to have more copies?  Or do I have
    to go through the ‘change backup folder location’ steps again to change the
    main location to another external hard drive to get the latest backup on a
    different drive?  And then change the location back again to backup to a different external hard drive.
  4. I really don’t understand the steps I need to do
    in the second dialog after clicking on CHOOSE in the Lightroom Backup Dialog.

I don’t want to fool with this anymore without instruction.  I need to get backups to several external
hard drives, maybe DVD, and have the latest on still on my Mac’s Pictures.  Can this be done?

Thank You so much for help.  I can't find the right explanations on the web.  I don't know what to do and I don't want to screw anything up.

thank you again for any help,

Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, backups can go on the same disk as the original catalog, Lightroom doesn't prevent this, but it is one of the worst things you can in your entire digital photography life. In my opinion, backups MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST go on a different disk than the original. Why? because if you put the backups on the same disk as the original catalog, and that disk fails, then you have ZERO copies of your catalog, and I'm going to guess you're not going to be happy with that. The same applies to photos.

So, when you click on Choose, you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST select a folder on a different drive. Any folder at all, whatever you want to name it, as long as it is on a different drive. It's really very simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you did should work, unless that is not supported in Lightroom 5. Choosing a different folder from the default works as expected with Lightroom CC 2015.9

Also, your catalog backup should be on a different hard drive from the main catalog in case of drive failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the dialog appears prompting you to backup your catalog, you can specify where the backup should be stored. That is when you can choose another hard drive and folder. It's a good idea to have a separate external hard drive for your backup files. You will have to choose which drive that will be. That doesn't mean that the backup you have already created in your Pictures folder isn't usable. It just isn't a very reliable backup because if that  hard drive crashes you've lost the catalog as well as your backup. I have my catalog on my main hard drive, images are stored on two separate internal hard drives, and catalog backups are stored on an external hard drive. In addition to that, I have other software that backs up my images to yet another external hard drive on a weekly basis. Remember that backing up the catalog does not backup your images. You have to design your own strategy to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Everyone,

Yes I think you are right about putting LR catalog backups
on a different External Hard Drive.  I
want duplicates on another because drives can die too.  This Catalog backup file is everything!  All your work.  And the photos too.  My Lightroom program is on my Mac HD.  My photos are already on two external hard
drives and may be on a third and /or optical DVD drives for extra saves.  Time Machine backs up the presets etc on another separate drive.

So I can make copies of my time stamped backups that are in
one external hard drive and paste them to a identical named folder on another
external hard drive?  Also then, can I
copy and paste the two older backups I have in my original LR folder now to
another external drive?… 

If in the future, Lightroom knows my default backup
location, and this external hard drive dies and is unusable.  I would have to establish the second drive as
the default drive?  After establishing it
as the default, will Lightroom recognize my older backups that were copied to
it?

In the future if I need to, can I use copied backups from
the second external hard drive (which is not the default)  to replace with (corrupt catalog), or do I first
have to re-establish the second external hard drive as the default location to
use them?

And last, how can I check that a backup is good?  How, or can I open it in Lightroom?  [And I should open  the backups, to check them,  which are in the default backup location, not
any  copies on another external drive –
right?]  And after I close the backup I
was checking, the next time I open Lightroom (I have LR set to open my  “NAME” Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat   when I click on the LR Icon in the Dock) it
should open my only main catalog, not a backup.
Which I can check by it’s path.  Right?   Thank You for helping me with these ending questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalog backups do not contain photos. The photos must be backed up independently.

Lightroom does not know your default backup location when it comes time to use it. You must restore the backups of the catalog file (and if necessary the photos) by copying the backups to the original location.

To check to see if a backup is good, you can (in your operating system) unzip it (LR 6/LR CC 2015 only), double-click on it to open it in Lightroom and then visually inspect the contents. Make sure you open the ORIGINAL catalog file the next time, and that you don't proceed to do actual work on the backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you have to back up the photos separately and they
are not in the catalog.  I have notes on
how to restore.  Hope I don't have to.

I don’t understand
what you said, “Lightroom does not know your
default backup location when it comes time to use it.” 
Does that mean that I can restore a corrupt
catalog file with any backup I have regardless if it is in my default backup
location or a copy on another external hard drive?

I have Lightroom 5.  To open a backup, double click on any backup
file that resides only in Lightroom’s default backup folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t understand
what you said, “Lightroom does not know your
default backup location when it comes time to use it.” 
Does that mean that I can restore a corrupt
catalog file with any backup I have regardless if it is in my default backup
location or a copy on another external hard drive?
?

Yes. Lightroom really doesn't care where the backup was stored.

I have Lightroom 5.  To open a backup, double click on any backup
file that resides only in Lightroom’s default backup folder?

No, you can double-click on any catalog backup in any folder on any disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to thank you and everyone who helped me with
both these questions.  I really need to be sure about all
these steps.  Because it’s not making a
mistake once or twice.  If I didn’t check
it out it would be hundreds of times!  Backing up the Lightroom catalog and photos is such an important part of organizing with Lightroom.  I would not be able to catalog my photos with this program if I didn't have a place to ask questions.
Thank You So Much for guiding me about this.  You have been very patient and kind.  It’s Spring!
Time for everyone to photo!  Thank
You so much again,

Thank You,

Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines